Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/46

1       2       3              46      
       48       end

JonPB
Total Posts: 286

On my Speed Booster (for Leica R lenses), the locking pin readily goes "click" to hold the lens in place. That said, the fit of the lens is very tight--after only a moderate number of lens changes, there's already significant brassing on the mount--so fit and finish on some of these things isn't as good as one would expect from a premium adapter.

That said, I'd recommend getting a vernier caliper, which can be had at pretty much any hardware store here in the US. Cost is about the same as a pint of beer, so not a large outlay compared to the cost of your photo gear. With it, you could measure the outer diameter of the pin that sticks out of the lens mount on the Speed Booster, and you could measure the inner diameter of the channel it is supposed to fit into.

One possibility is that the lens has a non-Contax mount--that someone adapted it to Nikon or Pentax or what have you. (A visual indicator of this will be that there is more than about a millimeter of nickel metal showing from the side of the lens mount. I've never handled a C/Y lens, though, so compare yours to internet images.) Of course, if the mount has been changed, it won't work with a Contax-mount Speed Booster.

Hope this helps!

stormhalvorsen
Total Posts: 16

It does indeed help. Thank you! On the Fuji X forums (I use an X-Pro1 for this) I happened upon someone who has the same adapter and lens type so we have just exchanged photos and I believe I can say for certain now that the lens is indeed correct and in good condition.

The adapter lock tongue looks the same so they certainly didn't put the wrong one in at least. However it is probably misaligned. So some careful surgery on the Speed Booster seems like the most logical way to go, unless Metabones should show an interest in some sort of customer support and an exchange. So far silence.

As for premium adapter, I don't know... The web page looks very western but they ship from China and the Speed Booster appears to have the same questionable quality control as I have become acustomed to now after buying a lot of camera stuff and consumer electronics from there. Great design, poor execution. No support (well, het at least).

JonPB
Total Posts: 286

Please take pictures if you decide to go ahead with the surgery. I'd be curious to see inside one, even if they are quite a bit simpler than even a basic standard lens.

I'll agree with "great design, poor execution." Once it works, though, the product is quite satisfying.

I did receive a reply to a question sent to their info@ address, so maybe that inbox is better staffed than their support@ address? That would be sad, but perhaps with a try.

stormhalvorsen

I sent an email to the address connected with the sale. A different company name than Metabones, although I bought it through the Metabones website. Global Boom International Limited, of all things. I have asked specifically for return/replacement. So no surgery quite yet.

I assume they will answer. Also since the payment was through PayPal they have a kind of buyer insurance it seems. But most likely I will be allowed to send it back in exchange for a new one. It should be that simple.

DavidWEGS
Total Posts: 3799

Yes it should, and you should note to them that this is being followed by others who have/use their products. It makes a difference how they treat you.

stormhalvorsen

I got a swift reply on my return request with an address to use in Hong Kong. They will refund the Metabones and shipping to me (minus $6 for some reason) once it is back in their hands. I can then buy a new one.

Since Fedex (like they used) charges an incredible $278 to return the box with their economy delivery I'm opting for cheapest snail mail at $46. Too bad they don't have a return deal with Fedex because shipping with them the other was was only $35. Expensive from Norway.

artur5
Total Posts: 452

That's quite annoying, stormhalvorsen. My experience with the Speed Booster has been great so far. My unit ( a NEX-Alpa version) has a perfect finish and fit. It's very possible that the increasing demand has forced Metabones to rush the production and the QC has decreased accordingly.
On the other part, I know by experience that the Contax/Yashica bayonet is one of the most tricky systems out there. Instead of having a rear locking pin, as most of the other mounts, the way of holding the lens in place is a sort of springy latch which catches sideways a prong of the lens' bayonet. A system that demands a very accurate construction and it's also more prone to wear and misfunction than the usual rear pin.

stormhalvorsen

Yes, now that I have sent it back I have to decide of I am going to order a new identical one. They will refund my money so I guess I will take a chance and do this all over again. May as well order one soon because the refund is likely to take weeks.

A bit on the fence about getting a new one of the same kind tho. But I did buy that nice Contax lens for this purpose alone. Still I could look again into their other mounts. It has to correspond with a lens found maybe on eBay. Alpa is expensive and something I know nothing about. Leica expensive pf course... Contax G on Metabones someone said something negative about I seem to recall.

A further extension of my dillemma is that if I am to buy a second Contax lens and the Speed Booster is vulnerable to lens changes, I may have to get two of them and keep one permanently on each lens. Which increases the chance of getting another faulty one.

Things for me contemplate.

wuxiekeji
Total Posts: 336

Any EF to EF-M, M42 to EF-M, or Contax to EF-M version coming out?

H.Lux
Total Posts: 395

Stormhalvorsen: I got my EF-NEX Speed Booster from an ebay-Dealer in Uk. Also has good Processing and returns are a lot easier than with Hongkong. Is it allowed to Post here dealernames?
I use my C/Y 28/2.8 using an additionally chipped (lens data) C/Y to EF adapter. So the "weak point" is a cheap adapter, which is easily changed.

Stefan

stormhalvorsen

There are currently no Speed Boosters for C/Y with Fuji X-mount listed on eBay. But there was nothing wrong in ordering it from Hong Kong. It arrived in about three days with FedEx for the price of regular snail mail shipping.

It would probably be quicker to return one to the UK yes, but my hope is that it will work the next time and that there will be no further returns.

DavidWEGS

What happened?

stormhalvorsen wrote:
Yes, now that I have sent it back I have to decide of I am going to order a new identical one. They will refund my money so I guess I will take a chance and do this all over again. May as well order one soon because the refund is likely to take weeks.

A bit on the fence about getting a new one of the same kind tho. But I did buy that nice Contax lens for this purpose alone. Still I could look again into their other mounts. It has to correspond with a lens found maybe on eBay. Alpa is expensive and something I know nothing about. Leica expensive pf course... Contax G on Metabones someone said something negative about I seem to recall.

A further extension of my dillemma is that if I am to buy a second Contax lens and the Speed Booster is vulnerable to lens changes, I may have to get two of them and keep one permanently on each lens. Which increases the chance of getting another faulty one.

Things for me contemplate.

stormhalvorsen

Well, I received a refund today and yesterday another one arrived, which I ordered just before the weekend when I got impatient and couldn't wait anymore to hear back from Hong Kong.

The new one works! With the return shipping and customs fees and VAT for importing, I am down $110 on the deal. Have just written to the customs people and attached proof of the unit's return and refund, hoping that I will get some money back. Most likely they will give me back the VAT but not their handling fee. Also not the FedEx handling fee of the customs checkthrough. I figure I will get a little over half of the $110 back.

Anyway, I have just tried the Speed Booster. It is a bit rickety/wobbly but I don't think it is in any danger of falling off. My first test shots were somewhat disappointing in that over half of them were very out of focus. Going out in a minute to try again. All in all I'm having trouble seeing the focus peaking on the X-Pro1.

But it feels nice to have. "Proper" manual focus lens on it. Although it doesn't sit fully tight and firm like on the original old cameras.

DavidWEGS

Well, I am glad to hear you got one that works properly.

I find that (using an Om-d) using focus peaking (pseudo version via a workaround I found on flickr) I can get very close (use it mostly with a Nikon 85/1.8 at the moment), but my best shots come when I remember to bring the focus just slightly nearer than the peaking suggests.

So, try a test set where you purposefully push the focus peaking "correct" point, to a little further out. Then do the same set with the focus brought slightly closer in. I did this and realized that when I brought the focus (using that lens) nearer by what seemed like nothing, it hit almost exactly what I wanted.

Currently, I get about 70% on target, 10% close enough that I can use them, and 20% not really worthwhile.

Those that work well, are great.

Persevere and it may become a favorite as mine has.

stormhalvorsen

Sounds like good advice David!

One inherit problem with my focusing needs is that I tend to only ever use the three most open f-stops on a lens (except for wide angles that is). So I'm nearly always looking to have just a shallow segment in focus. This leads to a lot of misses, since I also like unposed portraits and I never ask someone to not move. This is how I want things to be. If I had gotten work as a photojournalist I would probably stop down more for safer coverage.

Did I mention that I also bought an 85mm 1.4 on eBay? I'm hoping that it will arrive by the weekend.

DavidWEGS

I totally get you. I shoot wide open with this, all the time…. that was the point of getting it for me.

stormhalvorsen

Nice photo!

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5689

The Sony Alpha to NEX is shipping... http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster/sony-a-lens-to-sony-nex-adapter-67-detail

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1489

freaklikeme wrote:
The Sony Alpha to NEX is shipping... http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster/sony-a-lens-to-sony-nex-adapter-67-detail

without electronics :-(

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5689

Phillip Reeve wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:

without electronics :-(

This one may be too little too late. I can't imagine many will rush to order with the FF rumors running rampant over our collective imagination.

1       2       3              46      
       48       end