Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/44

1       2       3              44      
45
       46       47       48       end

brianc1959
Registered: Feb 24, 2007
Total Posts: 58
Country: N/A

freaklikeme wrote:
http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster/nikon-g-to-emount-speed-booster-detail

It should be fine. The only incompatible lens they have listed so far is the AIS 20/2.8, but by calling that one out specifically, it looks to me like they expect AI/S lenses to be used.

Weird that there's no X-mount listed, just E and M4/3s.


When designing the SB we carefully measured several dozen different Nikkors, mostly AI and AIS types - including a 28/2.0 AIS, 28/2.8 AIS, 28/3.5 AI, 24/2.8 AIS, 24/2.0 AIS, 16/3.5 AI'd and 15/3.5 AI. We also checked a 20/2.8 AFD. And we made sure that all of these (and many more) lenses would work fine without modification. Unfortunately, we did not try the AIS version of the 20/2.8, and needless to say were disappointed to learn that its protruding metal parts caused a mechanical interference.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 9690
Country: United States

brianc1959 wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster/nikon-g-to-emount-speed-booster-detail

It should be fine. The only incompatible lens they have listed so far is the AIS 20/2.8, but by calling that one out specifically, it looks to me like they expect AI/S lenses to be used.

Weird that there's no X-mount listed, just E and M4/3s.


When designing the SB we carefully measured several dozen different Nikkors, mostly AI and AIS types - including a 28/2.0 AIS, 28/2.8 AIS, 28/3.5 AI, 24/2.8 AIS, 24/2.0 AIS, 16/3.5 AI'd and 15/3.5 AI. We also checked a 20/2.8 AFD. And we made sure that all of these (and many more) lenses would work fine without modification. Unfortunately, we did not try the AIS version of the 20/2.8, and needless to say were disappointed to learn that its protruding metal parts caused a mechanical interference.


that's great to know. have you decided whether to produce a minolta MD mount version yet?



sflxn
Registered: Mar 14, 2006
Total Posts: 818
Country: United States

Did Metabone ever answer the concerns about Zeiss ZE/ZF on Speedbooster? There was a film producer who claims it scraped one of the mount contacts of a 35/1.4 and rendered it inoperable.

How does the new Nikon G adapter work? Does it activate the lens aperture control or does it have its own funky set of aperture blade like I've seen in some Canon EF adapter? Yesterday, I took both my D800E and NEX out to shoot fireworks. I got quickly reminded of the Nikon weight and size. I may be ready to try speedbooster.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 9690
Country: United States

sflxn wrote:
Did Metabone ever answer the concerns about Zeiss ZE/ZF on Speedbooster? There was a film producer who claims it scraped one of the mount contacts of a 35/1.4 and rendered it inoperable.

How does the new Nikon G adapter work? Does it activate the lens aperture control or does it have its own funky set of aperture blade like I've seen in some Canon EF adapter? Yesterday, I took both my D800E and NEX out to shoot fireworks. I got quickly reminded of the Nikon weight and size. I may be ready to try speedbooster.


even nikon g lenses have a physical aperture lever, they just don't have an aperture ring. from the pictures it appears the nikon g SB simply has an aperture ring on it that pushes the lever on the lens to stop down the lens's own aperture.



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5244
Country: United States

brianc1959 wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster/nikon-g-to-emount-speed-booster-detail

It should be fine. The only incompatible lens they have listed so far is the AIS 20/2.8, but by calling that one out specifically, it looks to me like they expect AI/S lenses to be used.

Weird that there's no X-mount listed, just E and M4/3s.


When designing the SB we carefully measured several dozen different Nikkors, mostly AI and AIS types - including a 28/2.0 AIS, 28/2.8 AIS, 28/3.5 AI, 24/2.8 AIS, 24/2.0 AIS, 16/3.5 AI'd and 15/3.5 AI. We also checked a 20/2.8 AFD. And we made sure that all of these (and many more) lenses would work fine without modification. Unfortunately, we did not try the AIS version of the 20/2.8, and needless to say were disappointed to learn that its protruding metal parts caused a mechanical interference.


Thanks for the confirmation, Brian. I'm guessing that Nikon 28/2.8 lovers (of which there are many) will be jumping-up-and-down happy to hear that.



sflxn
Registered: Mar 14, 2006
Total Posts: 818
Country: United States

I am one of those 28/2.8 lovers, but I bought that lens for $150. A $450 adapter to use a $150 lens, eh... I went ahead and bought the G adapter to use with that 28/2.8 and other lenses. Kind of an expensive experiment.



Taylor Sherman
Registered: Mar 26, 2012
Total Posts: 993
Country: United States

Well I doubt I'll ever need the aperture thingy (I only plan to use fully-manual lenses with this), but, yay! I think. I wanted this, now I'm not sure if I should spend the money for it to use with my ZF100/2 and CV180/4.

The 180 is great as-is, turning it into a 120/2.8 might be useful but then only if the SB maintains the APO status (never really heard about how it affects CA)

The 100/2 will certainly be more useful as a 100mm than the 150mm equiv. Getting f/1.4 out of it might be handy but I'm also more likely to need an ND filter.

Also, I could buy a Lux-R 80 for what the MP100 and SB together cost (and I've already got the R Speedbooster).

Hmm.



JonPB
Registered: May 08, 2013
Total Posts: 164
Country: United States

Thanks, freaklikeme. Your solution sounds rather nice, and I could see it working for me; I'm having a hard time imagining when I would want to shoot digital, infinity focus, and wide aperture all at the same time. (As an aside, that statement was based on my preferences; I know others would have good reason to shoot their cameras in such a manner, but I don't see how that would apply to my situation.) Can I get a confirmation that moving the Speed Booster optics toward the sensor--away from the lens--moves the optical focus closer to the camera, both coming closer than infinity at maximum distance and closer than the nominal MFD?

And...

Thanks, Mr. Caldwell, for not only designing this product but also maintaining a presence amongst us forum mongers afterwards. Due to the disruptive nature of the Speed Booster--technologically speaking--I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it will work for me, and that's with only three lenses to consider. I have immense respect and utterly ignorant comprehension of the optical design/mechanical engineering that went into this. Color me impressed by that alone. Yet, I know about internet forums, and so I applaud not only your optical design, and the work of Metabones to offer us the physical product, but also your continued presence to help us figure out what to make of this new photographic tool. That alone might be enough to push me to buy a Speed Booster.



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5244
Country: United States

sflxn wrote:
I am one of those 28/2.8 lovers, but I bought that lens for $150. A $450 adapter to use a $150 lens, eh... I went ahead and bought the G adapter to use with that 28/2.8 and other lenses. Kind of an expensive experiment.


It is. Built-in aperture control for the G's appears to come at a premium, but I had a hard time with the even less expensive Leica-R. Hopefully you'll find it worth it like I did, but, if you don't, you'll probably be able to get out from under it with little loss. I have a feeling demand is going to be pretty strong.



artur5
Registered: Oct 09, 2005
Total Posts: 439
Country: Andorra

Don't forget that with a Nikon SB you may use most Leica-R, Olympus OM and Contax Yashica glass with a Leitax conversion. This is surely less expensive than buying a different Speed Booster for each of the four mounts.



brianc1959
Registered: Feb 24, 2007
Total Posts: 58
Country: N/A

sflxn wrote:
Did Metabone ever answer the concerns about Zeiss ZE/ZF on Speedbooster? There was a film producer who claims it scraped one of the mount contacts of a 35/1.4 and rendered it inoperable.

How does the new Nikon G adapter work? Does it activate the lens aperture control or does it have its own funky set of aperture blade like I've seen in some Canon EF adapter? Yesterday, I took both my D800E and NEX out to shoot fireworks. I got quickly reminded of the Nikon weight and size. I may be ready to try speedbooster.


I'm not directly in the loop on non-optical aspects of the SpeedBooster, but will alert Metabones about the 35/1.4 issue. Do you know where this was reported, so that I can get more detailed information (e.g., which 35/1.4 etc.)?

The G adapter is purely mechanical, and it moves the aperture tab that sticks out the back of all G-type lenses. However, unlike most G aperture rings, the new Metabones version has a special mechanical design that allows the aperture ring clocking angle to be nearly identical to the old AI/AIS Nikkors. This helps to set the aperture more precisely.



brianc1959
Registered: Feb 24, 2007
Total Posts: 58
Country: N/A

JonPB wrote:
Thanks, freaklikeme. Your solution sounds rather nice, and I could see it working for me; I'm having a hard time imagining when I would want to shoot digital, infinity focus, and wide aperture all at the same time. (As an aside, that statement was based on my preferences; I know others would have good reason to shoot their cameras in such a manner, but I don't see how that would apply to my situation.) Can I get a confirmation that moving the Speed Booster optics toward the sensor--away from the lens--moves the optical focus closer to the camera, both coming closer than infinity at maximum distance and closer than the nominal MFD?

And...

Thanks, Mr. Caldwell, for not only designing this product but also maintaining a presence amongst us forum mongers afterwards. Due to the disruptive nature of the Speed Booster--technologically speaking--I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it will work for me, and that's with only three lenses to consider. I have immense respect and utterly ignorant comprehension of the optical design/mechanical engineering that went into this. Color me impressed by that alone. Yet, I know about internet forums, and so I applaud not only your optical design, and the work of Metabones to offer us the physical product, but also your continued presence to help us figure out what to make of this new photographic tool. That alone might be enough to push me to buy a Speed Booster.



Hi Jon:
Moving the SB toward the sensor and away from the main lens does the opposite of what you mention above - at least if I understand you correctly. Meaning, if you move the SB optics in this way then you would move the object plane toward infinity. If you were already focused at infinity and moved the SB in this way then you would wind up focusing on a virtual object plane behind the camera ("beyond infinity", as Buzz Lightyear would say!).

And thank you, BTW. I try to stop by this site as often as time permits, and am happy to answer any questions.






brianc1959
Registered: Feb 24, 2007
Total Posts: 58
Country: N/A

sebboh wrote:


that's great to know. have you decided whether to produce a minolta MD mount version yet?



I know that Metabones wants to do a MD version, but I don't have any schedule information.



teraflame
Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Total Posts: 189
Country: United States

Is FD mount version in the pipeline as well?



sflxn
Registered: Mar 14, 2006
Total Posts: 818
Country: United States

brianc1959 wrote:
sflxn wrote:
Did Metabone ever answer the concerns about Zeiss ZE/ZF on Speedbooster? There was a film producer who claims it scraped one of the mount contacts of a 35/1.4 and rendered it inoperable.

How does the new Nikon G adapter work? Does it activate the lens aperture control or does it have its own funky set of aperture blade like I've seen in some Canon EF adapter? Yesterday, I took both my D800E and NEX out to shoot fireworks. I got quickly reminded of the Nikon weight and size. I may be ready to try speedbooster.


I'm not directly in the loop on non-optical aspects of the SpeedBooster, but will alert Metabones about the 35/1.4 issue. Do you know where this was reported, so that I can get more detailed information (e.g., which 35/1.4 etc.)?

The G adapter is purely mechanical, and it moves the aperture tab that sticks out the back of all G-type lenses. However, unlike most G aperture rings, the new Metabones version has a special mechanical design that allows the aperture ring clocking angle to be nearly identical to the old AI/AIS Nikkors. This helps to set the aperture more precisely.


http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/13/jared-abrams-offers-warning-to-metabones-speedbooster-uses-via-twitter/

I think it was probably an EF speedbooster. I have an incoming ZF.2 lens so I am crossing my fingers. It's one of the more nice Zeiss lens so I doubly want to be sure.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 9690
Country: United States

brianc1959 wrote:
sebboh wrote:


that's great to know. have you decided whether to produce a minolta MD mount version yet?



I know that Metabones wants to do a MD version, but I don't have any schedule information.


thanks for all the replies!



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4388
Country: Korea, South

It is excellent that Brian has a presence here.
I do wish the Nikon SB cost less, but I am still considering it haha.



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5244
Country: United States

So I discovered there's a problem with my Summicron 90 in that it won't achieve infinity on my a99 (I never use it at infinity, so I'd never noticed). So I retested with a borrowed Summicron 50 and my Elmarit 100 and with the SB set for actual infinity on the Elmarit 35 (or as close as I could get using Leica's DoF chart for the lens). Both the 50 and 100 behaved as expected focused at infinity, so you shouldn't have to adjust between lenses.

A couple from tonight with the Elmarit+SB wide open. My pup Jack discovered the joys of the sprinkler system on a hot summer evening tonight.



Jeremy Reitman
Registered: Oct 27, 2006
Total Posts: 756
Country: United States

teraflame wrote:
Is FD mount version in the pipeline as well?



Which mount??


Metabones (and the Mitakon/Lens Turbo folks) told me last month that an FD to X mount version would be coming in about a month. Haven't seen anything on either site just yet.



fototakas
Registered: Jul 09, 2013
Total Posts: 1
Country: N/A

Hello,
I need I favor from the Speed booster users
Could you please measure the distance from the lens mount to the optical module.
I just want to know is if it is possible to create Konica AR to NEX speed booster.
The biggest question right now - the physical dimensions of the optical module.
Or Maybe the Mr. Caldwell can say what is the height of the speed booster optical module?

Thank you in advance!
fototakas



1       2       3              44      
45
       46       47       48       end