Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/40

1       2       3              40      
41
       42              47       48       end

ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4490
Country: Korea, South

Sculpt- those are fantastic shots with the Tessar. Really shows what the extra money spent over a Lens Turbo goes- stellar distortion control.



sculptormic
Registered: Feb 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1475
Country: Netherlands

ISO1600 wrote:
Sculpt- those are fantastic shots with the Tessar. Really shows what the extra money spent over a Lens Turbo goes- stellar distortion control.



Thank you!

I did a +5 distortion correction on the building to get the left line straight. The lens is plenty sharp although I am not completly happy with the sharpness of the outer left corners, due to the Speedbooster, although they are further away.



sculptormic
Registered: Feb 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1475
Country: Netherlands

Sony takes the Metabones adapters serious!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.promotions.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-promotions-metabonesEFAdapter.shtml



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4490
Country: Korea, South

That is just the normal "Smart" adapter, not the SB....



sculptormic
Registered: Feb 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1475
Country: Netherlands

Yeah you're right. I changed it to adapters.



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

sculptormic wrote:
Sony takes the Metabones adapters serious!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.promotions.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-promotions-metabonesEFAdapter.shtml


Interesting that they're offering the Metabones EF and not their own LAEA2. I guess this division of Sony doesn't have much confidence in their own lenses.



genji
Registered: Jan 06, 2008
Total Posts: 213
Country: Australia

freaklikeme wrote:
genji wrote:

All my Leica R lenses are pristine, including the Summilux-R 35mm I bought from you three years ago.

I'll be very surprised if you don't like the Elmarit-R 35mm, it's one of my favorite lenses on full frame.


Long time no "see", sir. I hope all is well. I remember that Lux. That was the copy I couldn't bring myself to shave for the DsIII (or shave the DsIII's mirror). How's it been treating you?

I'm really looking forward to shooting the Elmarit again. When I first owned it, I was too hung up on getting f/2 or faster to give the Elmarit a fair chance, but when I look back at the test shots with it, I regret having turned it around so quickly. On the downside, I think I'm starting to hoard 35mm lenses. I'm seriously considering picking up a ZF 35/1.4.


The Lux-R 35 has spent most of its time in the dry cabinet because I can only use it at close distances on the 1 Ds2 and somehow I feel as though much of its goodness would be lost on a crop camera. But my Contax C/Y Speed Booster is waiting to be picked up at the post office this morning and, if I like the results with the Distagon 35/1.4 and the Planar 85/1.4, I might be tempted to spring for a Leica-R Speed Booster.

I'm trying hard not to look for a Summicron-R 35mm, on the basis that a Summilux-R 35 and an Elmarit-R 35 should be enough...



cyberstudio
Registered: Nov 08, 2005
Total Posts: 594
Country: Canada

freaklikeme wrote:
sculptormic wrote:
Sony takes the Metabones adapters serious!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.promotions.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-promotions-metabonesEFAdapter.shtml


Interesting that they're offering the Metabones EF and not their own LAEA2. I guess this division of Sony doesn't have much confidence in their own lenses.


Sony Pro is doing something that makes so much sense that everyone is shocked in disbelief. There are 90 million EF lenses out there, and A mount in comparison is only a tiny fraction of that. They could have let the customer choose between LAEA2 and Metabones, but they didn't even bother to do so. They simply acknowledge the fact that EF lenses are popular for cinematography. They have done their homework to figure out what their customers actually prefer. In any case I don't necessarily read this as a confidence issue, but simply a reflection of market reality.



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4490
Country: Korea, South

Bo-Ming, that is a very good point.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10716
Country: United States

cyberstudio wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
sculptormic wrote:
Sony takes the Metabones adapters serious!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.promotions.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-promotions-metabonesEFAdapter.shtml


Interesting that they're offering the Metabones EF and not their own LAEA2. I guess this division of Sony doesn't have much confidence in their own lenses.


Sony Pro is doing something that makes so much sense that everyone is shocked in disbelief. There are 90 million EF lenses out there, and A mount in comparison is only a tiny fraction of that. They could have let the customer choose between LAEA2 and Metabones, but they didn't even bother to do so. They simply acknowledge the fact that EF lenses are popular for cinematography. They have done their homework to figure out what their customers actually prefer. In any case I don't necessarily read this as a confidence issue, but simply a reflection of market reality.


yeah that's what i was thinking, EF is just a much bigger market. it's what i'd do too.



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

I don't disagree. It is smart, and shockingly un-big company of them. I just want to know why we didn't all get Hawk's Factory M-mount adapters when we bought our 7s.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10716
Country: United States

freaklikeme wrote:
I don't disagree. It is smart, and shockingly un-big company of them. I just want to know why we didn't all get Hawk's Factory M-mount adapters when we bought our 7s.


+1

though i guess a NEX-7 is a lot cheaper than the video cameras and not the greatest NEX for m glass.



Brody LeBlanc
Registered: Oct 04, 2007
Total Posts: 1040
Country: Canada

freaklikeme wrote:
Brody LeBlanc wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
ISO1600 wrote:
Brody LeBlanc, I believe it was, was using the 35cron-R on his SB+XPro right from the get-go. It seems to be a wonderful lens to pair with the SB.


I picked up Brody's Cron in a trade. He had shaved the fin.


Yea, before shaving you could only focus out to roughly 10ft. But it's not too difficult to shave the fin down as long as you're careful. Honestly, I already miss the Cron + SB combo.


Did you sell off the SB as well, Brody?


I did man. I honestly sorta regret it and am kinda waiting to see if Metabones drops a Nikon F to Fuji X, probably so that I can use the Voigt SLII lenses. I guess we'll just wait and see. Looking at the images I got with the 35 Cron + Speed Booster, I definitely think it's a genius idea worth using.



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4490
Country: Korea, South

I think a LOT of people are kinda waiting to see if Metabones drops a Nikon F to X or E adapter...
I was, until the Speed Booster came out.



Phillip Reeve
Registered: Sep 17, 2011
Total Posts: 1558
Country: Germany

cyberstudio wrote:
Currently in the prototyping stage. Hope everything goes well. (Do you know of any Minolta MD lenses with long appendages, levers, spikes or anything out from the back of the lens which could hit something? Please warn us in advance so that this product could successfully be built asap.) Most likely we will see Minolta MD before Canon FD.

any update on the MD SB?
I tried the Lens Turbo, got lousy results, and now i am totally convinced to get a SB.



sculptormic
Registered: Feb 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1475
Country: Netherlands

Phillip Reeve wrote:
cyberstudio wrote:
Currently in the prototyping stage. Hope everything goes well. (Do you know of any Minolta MD lenses with long appendages, levers, spikes or anything out from the back of the lens which could hit something? Please warn us in advance so that this product could successfully be built asap.) Most likely we will see Minolta MD before Canon FD.

any update on the MD SB?
I tried the Lens Turbo, got lousy results, and now i am totally convinced to get a SB.


Yes Phillip, I think they make a big difference in quality. They have a very different design all together.
The designer of the Speedbooster Mr Caldwell has a great reputation.

I have a lot of Minolta MD lenses as well, but no sign yet of a MD Speedbooster.



artur5
Registered: Oct 09, 2005
Total Posts: 480
Country: Andorra

I wonder if the rumored NEX FF will be in fact a slightly updated NEX-7 with a Speed Booster glued .

It would be great if somebody made rings for using the lenses which can't be adapted to Canon EOS ( Minolta MD, Canon FD, Konica AR ) but could be adapted to an Alpa mount Speed Booster. No need for buying different SBs for each lens mount. I see why Metabones wouldn't be interested on making those adapters but there're plenty of entrepreneur Chinese makers/vendors out there.
Although it's probable that the volume of sales wouldn't justify the investment required..



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4490
Country: Korea, South

somewhere earlier in this thread, somebody posted an email conversation they had with Metabones about a "universal" version of the SB.



artur5
Registered: Oct 09, 2005
Total Posts: 480
Country: Andorra

Like a modern Tamron's "Adaptall' system with interchangeable mounts ?..
Interesting but I daresay a bit tricky technically speaking and surely more expensive than a fixed mount unit, though more versatile, of course. Let's wait and see.
Looking at my Alpa to NEX SB ( I'am the only one here owning one of these ? ) I see that the front lens of the SB is almost flush with the lens mount. If Metabones released that universal version, which would require a even shorter flange distance, the optics would be frightfully exposed to accidental damage when changing the mounts.



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
I don't disagree. It is smart, and shockingly un-big company of them. I just want to know why we didn't all get Hawk's Factory M-mount adapters when we bought our 7s.


+1

though i guess a NEX-7 is a lot cheaper than the video cameras and not the greatest NEX for m glass.


Okay, fine. Righteous indignation thoroughly doused with an ice-cold bucket of truth.



1       2       3              40      
41
       42              47       48       end