#536 Bridge Columns
/forum/topic/1181459/0

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1094

These bridge columns, which support a portion of the pacific coast highway, provide some nice contrasts in the late afternoon sun.

Thanks for looking!

karmaportrait
Total Posts: 100

great shot!

i was actually thinking of something similar, but my shot was up at Pismo Beach. maybe go to plan B

leighton w
Total Posts: 9458

Very well seen Jeff.

John Richter
Total Posts: 4796

Nice lines in this one. Good work.

JBR

Foggy14

Thanks Chris, Leighton and John!

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3831

I like the geometries created by the shadows and columns, nicely seen and executed, and very fitting for the weeks assignment.

Foggy14

Thanks Travis!

mp356
Total Posts: 4333

Nice strong lines.

Foggy14

Thanks Scott!

smallrewards
Total Posts: 105

my favorite so far, though I wonder how it would look with the foreground in focus too.

Foggy14

smallrewards wrote:
my favorite so far, though I wonder how it would look with the foreground in focus too.

Thanks much for your comment.

On the question of foreground focus, that was something I played with while working on shots in this set. Since the column shadows are a product of light diffraction, their edges were not going to be as sharp as the adjacent rocks. I found this combination of sharp rocks and diffracted shadows in the foreground to be a bit busy and to take attention away from the stronger contrasting elements in the shot (the columns, people and clouds). The "solution" was to have the foreground rocks and shadows blend together in an out of focus area that, hopefully, draws attention to the contrasting elements in top half of the frame. I'm already seeing things I would have done a little differently, but that was the idea anyway.