Barking Dogs
/forum/topic/1180620/0

weissj
Total Posts: 794

Went out and about exploring last weekend. Came upon these fellers. They were very excited by my presence, though whether they were thrilled or upset was a little harder to tell.

dogs barking (2013) perhaps the best picture i have ever taken. by josh.weiss, on Flickr

Bob Jarman
Total Posts: 6326

Were it me, I'd be hoping they don't climb or jump fences and be using a looonnnggg telephoto.

Bob

sbeme
Total Posts: 17389

Josh,
A neat find and a busy scene. Since it has that street photography/photojournalist kind of subject, it makes me think BW as another form to present it with. I also think the image would be stronger with a tighter crop and stronger focus on the dogs, the shadows. A busier version would keep or highlight the textures of the walls in the enclosure. Love the long shadows.
Here is a BW interpretation to emphasize more ominous presentation(?)
If you would rather I pull the post, let me know.
Scott

AuntiPode
Total Posts: 6783

Like your rendition, Scott! Maybe crop a little more from the top.

RustyBug
Total Posts: 12985

weissj wrote:
whether they were thrilled or upset was a little harder to tell.

I'll bet the mailman could tell you ...

sbeme
Total Posts: 17389

Thanks Karen. Hope the OP likes it.
I committed to trying a square crop. Probably works best as a 4:5 crop.
Scott

weissj
Total Posts: 794

Thanks for the feed back, everyone. The tighter crop definitely does a good job of bringing the attention in on the dogs. I had a few where one or two dogs were up on their hind paws, highlighting their frenzied barking, but I ended up going with this one for a combination of framing, perspective, and focus over the others I took. I definitely didn't stay long; I don't think they were too thrilled to see me!

AuntiPode
Total Posts: 6783

No doggie treats.