Fuji X100s!
/forum/topic/1179695/0

2       3              9       10       end

justruss
Total Posts: 4474

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/introducing-the-new-fujifilm-x100s-1/

Looks fantastic!

- X-Trans (positive or negative, depending on the subject/photographer)
- Improved AF w/ phase detection pixels!
- Focus Peaking
- Digital split-focus
- New processing chip, claiming 30% less noise at high ISO
- 60fps video

I just bought an X-E1, so I'm a bit disappointed I won't get the benefits of the phase detection pixels or new processing chip (noise/OOC jpg advances). But at least whenever I update this body I'll get those things or more, assuming the next version of the X-E1/X-Pro1 get these features (a safe assumption).

And maybe a firmware update will trickle down to give us some of those things, like peaking/split focus.

Very, very cool. Also, as a side note, X-Trans seems to be slowly getting more RAW support, and being used in more cameras (now including the X100 series and X20 series), which can only be a good thing. It still remains to be seen whether the advantages of this sensor array can be extended and its disadvantages reduced. Please let's not turn this into a discussion for X-Trans partisans of either side.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20875

Nice.

justruss
Total Posts: 4474

They are also claiming 25% effective resolution increase at f/16 from the new sensor (probably minimal changes) and new processor, which can apparently double throughput.

That means 60fps at 1080p! (Though control of video has been a weak point with these Fuji X-series cameras, so let's see if those features get any kind of improvement. Getting 60 fps of poorly controlled, mediocre video doesn't thrill me; getting that with good quality video-- they're saying 36 Mbs-- with more manual control would be great.)

That's a video throughput on par with the 5Dmk2 if I remember correctly. That's not wildly good for 60fps, but pretty nice for 30fps from such a small, non-video focused camera.

Spyro P.
Total Posts: 2829

sorry but it has to be said
fuji kicks *ss

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20875

P.S. I just noticed that B&H is now taking pre-release orders for the Fujinon XF 14/2.8 R lens, with expected delivery in late January. I just put in a request with my local dealer.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1791

Nice!

ceder
Total Posts: 279

The digital split-focus means it will finally be a true digital rangefinder. That, and improved autofocus speed will make it a huge success. And perhaps an X-Pro1s in 2014. Hope Adobe will pay some attention to their processing...

Spyro P.
Total Posts: 2829

Trying to figure out if the split focus will only be available in EVF mode, or as a digital overlay in OVF?

eninety
Total Posts: 811

im in for a digital range finder!

ceder
Total Posts: 279

Yes, with a thin cover glass on the sensor...

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

Hopefully, they'll release a firmware update for the x-pro 1 and x-e1 that also enables focus peaking since the x100s has that feature.

Bifurcator
Total Posts: 9299

justruss wrote:
http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/introducing-the-new-fujifilm-x100s-1/

I get a message saying that the video is private. And then it refuses to play. WTF?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15627

Me too.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10526

sweet is the actual evf supposed to be any better in terms of refresh rate or resolution?

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3622

Digital split screen? What is this? Like a SLR?

ceder wrote:
The digital split-focus means it will finally be a true digital rangefinder. That, and improved autofocus speed will make it a huge success. And perhaps an X-Pro1s in 2014. Hope Adobe will pay some attention to their processing...

I assume this split screen is an overlay on the OVF though? If not, it's not so interesting.

I also hope they've sorted out the sensor. I don't like smudgy stuff.

Still focus by wire? That was surely one of the biggest complaints, and Fuji usually listen. Perhaps just too complicated due to the design of the lens ?

> After all the ups and downs of the RX1, thinking I could afford a Leica, and realising it might be further from reach than I first thought, I'm actually coming around to the X100 YET AGAIN. Perhaps these small improvements will be enough to push me into buying one... after all, I need to replace my 'small camera', as my film camera is now out of action, and it's not like I will be able to afford a Leica anytime soon. So perhaps X100 for a year or so, whilst building Leica funds. It's not like an X100 would take that much of a chunk out of Leica savings...

weezintrumpete
Total Posts: 2274

Welp, I'm going to have to buy one. Dammit.

I love my X100, but they seems to have improved the few things that bug me about it. Namely the AF, EVF and manual focus.

Damn them!

myam203
Total Posts: 1932

Oh man, this is going to be great... I already love the X100 as it is!

ssnap
Total Posts: 456

I recently found a great price on a used x100 but may have to hold out for this.

Bijltje
Total Posts: 815

ceder wrote:

Not really. Split focus screens is something they used in SLR's. Rangefinders use an projected overlay on the screen to focus.

Seems like an great upgrade nevertheless, but doesn't make it a rangefinder.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3622

RE: Split screen ala SLR. This would be much slower than a RF, or anyway, if it is as the name suggests, not like a RF. But it's an interesting development. I wonder if they could one day mimic a RF like this? Anyone know if this is an OVF or EVF capability?

ssnap wrote:
I recently found a great price on a used x100 but may have to hold out for this.

Ditto. New prices in the UK are so low right now, I was half tempted. But if this is around the corner, I'll probably wait for the minor improvements. But that brings the quesiton of price, can they really charge that much more than the current x100 price give that they're essentially just putting a new sensor in and adjusting the software?

2       3              9       10       end