Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3757

Thank you.

BobnJake
Total Posts: 1436

Thanks

mselby
Total Posts: 19

Nice article with nice photo examples. On the AF section it would be interesting to get your impressions of the different AF cases and which one you used.
Mike

speedmaster20d
Total Posts: 1438

Hey Mike thanks

The AF cases don't really apply to BIF much, Canon optimized these scenarios for particular types of sports but wild birds are too erratic to fit into a few categories.

The settings that matter most are the AI-servo tracking sensitivity (read re-focus delay) which I set to slowest and the expansion pattern which depends on the bird and background.

I can't say the rest of the settings made a big difference, the focus point switching delay might make a small difference but I have to experiment more to confirm that.

dwweiche
Total Posts: 1399

Ari, you have the cameras identified incorrectly on the side by side photo showing the top of of each.

kevinsullivan
Total Posts: 1696

Very nice review, and beautiful captures, especially of the kestrel. For those of us who are stuck for now with the 5D III, would you be willing to say what you think are the optimal settings of the AF system for BIF?

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17387

Canon EOS-1D X Field Review
FM member Arash Hazeghi, posted a field test on the Canon EOS-1D X DSLR. The review is very informative and the photos presented are equally great.

Here is an excerpt from his conclusion:

"The EOS 1DX is the new flagship professional DSLR from Canon and it well deserves the title. It is a solid improvement over the EOS 1D Mark IV in overall image quality, high ISO performance, dynamic range, speed of operation, buffer capacity, storage interface, controls and a surprisingly significant improvement in AI-servo performance for flight photography."

Read entire Review

The Canon EOS-1D X's price was just lowered to $6,728 at B&H Photo | Adorama

Mstic
Total Posts: 609

thanks for the review!!

lhdvries
Total Posts: 1265

Thks so much for this fine report Ari !!!!!

Leon

speedmaster20d

dwweiche wrote:
Ari, you have the cameras identified incorrectly on the side by side photo showing the top of of each.

Thanks! corrected

speedmaster20d

kevinsullivan wrote:
Very nice review, and beautiful captures, especially of the kestrel. For those of us who are stuck for now with the 5D III, would you be willing to say what you think are the optimal settings of the AF system for BIF?

same as 1DX

AI - servo tracking sensitivity set to slowest

use expansion (8-points) or (4-points when BG is too busy or if bird is small in the frame).

kevinsullivan
Total Posts: 1696

same as 1DX

Thanks for this. --Kevin

cputeq
Total Posts: 4241

These BIFs are ludicrous. Nice shots.

verbiage
Total Posts: 320

Thank you - nice review.

Stoffer
Total Posts: 561

Thanks Arash Hazeghi (and Fred)!

Very interesting and informative review. It was quite interesting to read your impressions on the AI Servo drive speed on the 5D Mark III vs EOS-1D X and the fact that the focus speed is still so fast with an extender mounted. Good times!

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19548

How does a 135mm shot on a 1.29x crop camera have the same FOV as a 200mm shot on a FF? This would give 1D X an advantage over and above it's extra 2MP in a non-FL scenario. Should have been ~153mm for 1D IV.

Just awesome bird photography Arash - you should label that series - Orkestral manoeuvres.

Ripolini
Total Posts: 350

Great camera & great photographer!

waldr_p
Total Posts: 5847

A very considered and informative review - thanks for an enjoyable read.

Paul.

outlawyer
Total Posts: 1376

cputeq wrote:

No kidding! I was ducking so I wouldn't get hit,thought one was flying right toward me.

DEFINITELY getting a 1DX in 2016.

OntheRez
Total Posts: 2634

outlawyer wrote:
cputeq wrote:

No kidding! I was ducking so I wouldn't get hit,thought one was flying right toward me.

DEFINITELY getting a 1DX in 2016.

Yeah, by that time I MIGHT be able to afford one. Excellent review and truly superb photography. One side benefit for me is that you've identified things I've noticed about my 1DIV that I had attributed to my technique or lack thereof. There are clearly times (in nighttime bad light sports) when I've noticed the OOF frame in a burst and the slowing of fps.

Thanks much,

Robert

2       end