55mm f 1.2 Nikkor. Where does it fit?
/forum/topic/1179465/0

papageno
Total Posts: 3626

I've been looking at the collection of a man who passed some time ago to help the family decide how best to deal with it. Some of the items are fairly exotic, like the pair of f .95s for Canon RF cameras I noted on the Canon site.

At the moment, I'm looking at a 55rmm f 1.2 Nikkor. I can find the 58mm version, which is very pricey, and the 50mm version which is merely expensive. What gives with the 55? Is it an orphan stepchild? It is AI, but not AIS FWIW....

Anyone out there actually use one of these beasts?

tonyc90
Total Posts: 128

Hello, I did a write up some time ago on my sample of the 55/1.2 AI'd -
http://tonycorrea.com/blog/2011/05/nikon-55f12-review/

The lens was made from mid-60's through the late '70s. Originally an Non-AI lens, later models were available in native AI mount. Replaced by the 50mm f/1.2 AI in 1978.

papageno

Nice article; very useful. Love the vignetting, presumably at or near 1.2.....

tonyc90

papageno wrote:
Nice article; very useful. Love the vignetting, presumably at or near 1.2.....

Yes, lots of natural vignetting wide open, no Photoshop needed.
Thanks.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

I have one, the S.C version, factory AI converted. My fave '50'.

I bought mine from a lady in Ottawa for $300, but depending on condition, I'd say up to $400 would be possible.

Dylan

gugs
Total Posts: 7524

Among the 1.2 Nikon lenses, the Noct 58mm is the best, the 50mm is very good and the 55mm is just an ok lens. It is still a decent "50mm" lens and a collector's item.

Guy

DTOB

gugs wrote:
Among the 1.2 Nikon lenses, the Noct 58mm is the best, the 50mm is very good and the 55mm is just an ok lens. It is still a decent "50mm" lens and a collector's item.

Guy

Just an OK lens? That's rich!

IMO, I like its output better than the 50/1.2.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5756

DTOB wrote:
gugs wrote:

Guy

Just an OK lens? That's rich!

IMO, I like its output better than the 50/1.2.

Yes, I've noticed from other folks' images that the 55/1.2 seems to have a different look than my 50/1.2 and have played with the notion of grabbing one to shoot them side-by-side.
Both lenses have a very unique look to them wide open.

Usually you buy these f/1.2's to shoot them at f/1.2. If I want clinical sharpness and flare/coma control I use my excellent 50/1.8G.

John

papageno

Have yet to put it on the camera, but as a daily start-with lens it seems fairly bad. Strikes me as about as useable as a fisheye, although not for the same reasons.

make a great paperweight,,,if you need a paperweight in this day and age.....

tonyc90

papageno wrote:
Have yet to put it on the camera, but as a daily start-with lens it seems fairly bad. Strikes me as about as useable as a fisheye, although not for the same reasons.

Not a practical day-to-day normal lens, but creatively useful for it's unique character wide open. On a DX body makes a good portrait lens for those dreamy in-camera look at f/1.2.

DTOB

papageno wrote:
Have yet to put it on the camera........Strikes me as about as useable as a fisheye, although not for the same reasons.

If you have yet to put it on camera, what reasons could you possibly have?

leighton w
Total Posts: 9125

papageno wrote:

I'll give you 50 bucks for it right now.

Mark Price
Total Posts: 208

I've been wanting a factory Ai'd K version. If I can find a reasonable price on one, I'll pick it up.