advice on photo stops en route from Toronto to Orlando
/forum/topic/1179101/0

alexands
Total Posts: 113

Hi,

I'm thinking about driving from Toronto, Canada to Orlando, U.S.A. in late January and taking three or four days to do so. I was wondering if anyhow has advice on photo hot spots I could plan into my trip. I understand that blue ridge parkway is really nice (and right on route). Any other suggestions. Thanks!

Alex.

Mashuto
Total Posts: 69

A little ways outside of Rochester is Letchworth state park. I have never been, but it seems like a nice gorge with some great big waterfalls. Down through Pennsylvania there is Ricketts Glen State park which is another location I have not been, but really want to go.

Down through Virginia there is Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive inside the park. And then continuing south from there, yes, the Blue Ridge Parkway. Of course coming down through these locations in January might be a bit difficult due to snow, and portions of skyline drive may be closed.

As you go farther south into Tennessee, Great Smoky Mountains is a really great place.

Those are some of the locations I know along your route. Although to be honest, with only 3 or 4 days, you may find yourself wanting more time in some of these locations. Best of luck!

alexands

Thanks Mashuto. Much appreciated!

pliukait
Total Posts: 571

I concur with Mashuto on taking Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Both are amazing drives, although in January I would be concerned with snow and fog.

We took those routes in October 2011 and had a very enjoyable trip. Then it was very sparsely traveled, I imagine January would be even less so.

Regards.....Pete

alexands

Thanks guys. I will leave this Monday for the commute to Orlando. I'm probably do a marathon drive of 10 or so hours on the first day and get as far as Skyline drive. Then I will take my time from there on and drive Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway to the Smoky mountains where I will linger for a few days. I'm hoping that its relatively easy to detour around any winter road closures, but I guess I will find out soon.

dsjtecserv
Total Posts: 1504

I think we are skipping winter this year in the mid-Atlantic. Unless something drastically changes between now and next week, I don't think you will need to worry about snow on the BRP, although local conditions can vary. On the other hand, I can't think of a better route to take this time of year. Especially if you look for beauty in the details, you can find lots to photograph even in a drab winter. If you do need to bail from the ridge, there would be frequent opportunities to drop down into the valleys, which should be snow-free. Have fun!

Dave

alexands

Thanks Dave. That is encouraging!