Canon 580exII v. 600ex on 1D IV
/forum/topic/1178811/0

lite25e
Total Posts: 381

I found a good deal on a Canon 600ex. I currently use a 580ex II on my Canon 1D IV.

I have no intentions of upgrading to the 1D X anytime soon, so the better compatibility with the 5D III or 1D X isn't really an issue. I also don't need and won't use the wireless capabilities of the 600ex.

All of this being said, anyone know whether the 600ex offers anything else for me? Will it offer better AF capability or more accurate ETTL? I don't shoot with flash that often, and I admit that I'm not very experienced with it, as most of my shooting is available light. When I'm shooting with flash, it's typically a party or something else where friends have asked me to take pictures.

Thanks for any advice,
Dan

3iron
Total Posts: 453

It may offer a more clear operating menu than the 580II. I don't have the 580 so can't say for sure.
It also has a slightly stronger flash and may be a little more precise in ETTL mode.
That's about all I am aware of.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20895

I have 580EX, 580EX II and 600EX-RT flash. The only reason I bought a 600EX-RT was for its "better compatibility" with the 1DX; otherwise, I don't think it's a worthwhile expense when you already have a 580EX II. If you get to the point that a second flash makes sense, then maybe...

RichardLavigne
Total Posts: 5353

For you.... no. stick with the 580's. The only possible difference you'd see is the extra power of the 600 vs. 580, but that's probably not worth the $$$ if none of the other benefits will be used by you.

lite25e
Total Posts: 381

Thanks everyone for your help. I bought a 600EX from Overstock.com, here in the United States, for $488. It shipped from New Jersey, and the product info on the website talked about the wireless capabilities, 1 year warranty, etc.

When it arrived, to my surprise, it was a 600EX, not a 600EX-RT. I know Canon sells the 600EX overseas, but they don't in the U.S., so I'm pretty sure there would be no warranty. There obviously also is no wireless capability.

In light of this, $488 was not a good deal, and I'm just returning it to Overstock.com instead of replacing my 580ex II with it, or trying to sell it new. I guess it is possible that Canon is now selling the 600EX in the United States, but I don't see anything else supporting that, and I therefore think it is more likely that Overstock.com is selling imports.

Thanks again everyone.

anthonygh
Total Posts: 1846

You could try something like an old Metz CL-45.......pretty cheap on eBay and tough as old boots. I have one...and also the newer digital version...but use both in flash auto mode and the results are excellent...what people say about the 'metz' light is true.

It has two strobes as well...the head is multi directional with a second fixed fill in light......so ideal for parties etc where the main flash can bounce off a ceiling or wall for a soft spread and the fill in helps with subject detail.

No fancy controls on the earlier model...but the built in auto control seems remarkably accurate....every owner comments on this.

JohnBrose
Total Posts: 1786

I believe the light output between the 580ex2 and 600 is the same and the only difference is more zoom capability of the 600's head. A bit of smoke and mirrors by Canon's marketing dept.