Chinese Insect Market
/forum/topic/1178773/0

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4909

SebastianS
Total Posts: 259

These are great, are they for show or something else?

douter
Total Posts: 11303

Looks like there is quite an interest in the specimens.
Douglas

rattymouse

SebastianS wrote:

No, these insects are all for sale. Prices range from a few dollars to 60 to 70 dollars. Chinese men have an enormous affection for the sounds that these insects make and are testing them extensively before they hand over there money. 20 minutes or more of comparing one but to another, listening, poking, prodding, and discussing. It is an amazing site to witness.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2929

rattymouse wrote:
SebastianS wrote:

No, these insects are all for sale. Prices range from a few dollars to 60 to 70 dollars. Chinese men have an enormous affection for the sounds that these insects make and are testing them extensively before they hand over there money. 20 minutes or more of comparing one but to another, listening, poking, prodding, and discussing. It is an amazing site to witness.

Actually, some of them are for fighting!

rattymouse

zhangyue wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
SebastianS wrote:

I've heard that, but these bugs are not aggressive so I dont know how that can happen. You can store a hundred crickets in one cage and they wont fight.

Clearly the sound was the most important thing in this market because you could see the men evaluating the chirps and the vendors had special methods to cause the insects to make sounds.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2929

rattymouse wrote:
zhangyue wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
SebastianS wrote:

I've heard that, but these bugs are not aggressive so I dont know how that can happen. You can store a hundred crickets in one cage and they wont fight.

Clearly the sound was the most important thing in this market because you could see the men evaluating the chirps and the vendors had special methods to cause the insects to make sounds.

Try to put two male together in the same jar, you will see. Those were put in individual box are definitely for fighting. People hear sound because stronger one usually have louder, brighter sound. I know some people buy those thing for fighting and bet. In some Chinese traditional animation movies, the legend one can even fight with Rooster, though we all know that is not the case

I never bet or gambling, but when I was still a small kid, I catch those small insects fighting with my friends all the time. At the time, there is no much entertainment as for now

rattymouse

zhangyue wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
zhangyue wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
SebastianS wrote:

Try to put two male together in the same jar, you will see. Those were put in individual box are definitely for fighting. People hear sound because stronger one usually have louder, brighter sound. I know some people buy those thing for fighting and bet. In some Chinese traditional animation movies, the legend one can even fight with Rooster, though we all know that is not the case

I never bet or gambling, but when I was still a small kid, I catch those small insects fighting with my friends all the time. At the time, there is no much entertainment as for now

Do they fight to the death? These bugs are leaf eaters so it's hard to imagine that can go all out like that. But I certainly am not the expert!

Thanks for your insight.

joesfotosite
Total Posts: 91

Fantastic. I'm going to the Philippines soon and hoping I can capture images like these.

neilvan
Total Posts: 504

Fantastic set Rattymouse, you have told a great story here with your images.

#6 really stands out to me, perfect balance, exposure and so much emotion, awesome!