Best of OM-D 2012 Images
/forum/topic/1177724/0

2       3       4       end

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7419

You have the "Best of 2012 Images" in several forums, so a friend of mine suggested I start a "Best of MFT Images" ... but I really have little interest MFT images outside of the OM-D E-M5. And seeing how the "OM-D Images" thread is loaded with some amazing stuff, I thought it would be fitting to have an OM-D thread showcasing only the very best images from each OM-D shooter, captured in the year of its introduction.

You can post what you think are your absolute "best" or "favorite" shots, but please try and restrict your posting to no more than 6 images. The EXIF data should be included if possible, and please refrain from posting very large files. I will kick this off with 4 of mine - not necessarily my best shots but they my favorite ones. I may post a couple more later on.

~Bobby

snapsy
Total Posts: 4401

The OM-D's inaugural year!

Jman13
Total Posts: 10324

Not sure why we're restricting this to OM-D images (my best image of the year, IMO was taken with my GH2 and my only real travel trip where I got many of my best images of the year was before the OM-D was in my possession), but I guess I'll play along...this is really hard to narrow down...I'm not sure if all but about two of these would make the list should I look at images tomorrow.

With Oly 60/2.8 Macro:

With FD 50-300 f/4.5L:

With Oly 75/1.8:

With Leica 25/1.4:

With 50-300mm f/4.5L:

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4560

with the Panny 7-14mm

South Point Spectacle by RJIPhotography, on Flickr

Church Ceiling by RJIPhotography, on Flickr

PL25

Mississippi Sunrise by RJIPhotography, on Flickr

Morning Rush by RJIPhotography, on Flickr

75/1.8

No Parking Ramp Access by RJIPhotography, on Flickr

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 4819

Awesome Bob!

Wilbus
Total Posts: 262

Great shots! I've seen most of them in the OM-D forum but not all, this will be fun!

Extremely hard to chose but I'll try...

Will start with 4... see if I find two more later on.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2637

Wilbus, I like the portraits very much. esp #2, It almost give me MF feel instead of MFT format Nicely done!

Wilbus

Thank you very much zhangyue!

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7419

zhangyue wrote:
Wilbus, I like the portraits very much. esp #2, It almost give me MF feel instead of MFT format Nicely done!

Exactly ... with a good lens and in the right hands, images from the OM-D can look as good as any 16mp FF DSLR.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15108

bobbytan wrote:
with a good lens and in the right hands, images from the OM-D can look as good as any 16mp FF DSLR.

Only for those shots for which the sensor size does not play a role.

Wilbus

carstenw wrote:
bobbytan wrote:
with a good lens and in the right hands, images from the OM-D can look as good as any 16mp FF DSLR.

Only for those shots for which the sensor size does not play a role.

Not that the thread should be about that and I'm not sure why you feel the need to state it but sensor size quite rarely matters as far as the actual picture goes. One can take just a good pictures with a smaller sensor as with a large one, and yes I know, I've been using FF for the past years.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15108

I feel the need to state that because it was stated in such a way that it sounded like a universal truth, but it is not.

And yes, I own both FF and MFT, and there are certainly a lot of my results which I could not have gotten with the MFT camera, as good as it is, and I am not talking about DR or IQ in general.

Bifurcator
Total Posts: 9296

Yup, 4/3 is limited. Within those limits there's a lot of potential goodness tho. I guess everyone already knows.

I wish I owned an OM-D so I could post some up here too. I have this shot of an OM-D I took with an OM-D tho it probably doesn't belong in a best-of thread:

E-M5 50 mm f/13.0 1/500 sec 25600 ISO 0.0 EV

Processed and saved in ACR from the ORF RAW image.

Toothwalker
Total Posts: 1290

Bifurcator wrote:
I wish I owned an OM-D so I could post some up here too. I have this shot of an OM-D I took with an OM-D tho it probably doesn't belong in a best-of thread:

If this were a shot of a real OM-D with a genuine picture on its LCD, then wow. The picture in the picture certainly belongs here, and the picture of that picture also because of the unique presentation of the picture in the picture. However, since it is a shot of a dummy OM-D ... hmmm. Not sure!

Wilbus

carstenw wrote:
I feel the need to state that because it was stated in such a way that it sounded like a universal truth, but it is not.

And yes, I own both FF and MFT, and there are certainly a lot of my results which I could not have gotten with the MFT camera, as good as it is, and I am not talking about DR or IQ in general.

*Sigh*

Of course there are pictures that "can't" be taken in the same exact way with MFT as with FF or medium format or full format etc, there will always be differences. Stating the obvious because you feel the need is just silly. Like I said, I only question your need to remark upon something like that, not the actual fact that it may be so.

There will always be pictures you can't take with FF as well, try mounting a FF camera on the head of a skier and strap it onto a snowboard the way you do with a Go-pro and I can guarantee you you will be in for a hard time. Use different equipment for whatever it does best. Learn it, live with it and enjoy it.

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

Wilbus, really like your first two portraits. I guess you processed them a bit, they look great.

Wilbus

mortyb wrote:
Wilbus, really like your first two portraits. I guess you processed them a bit, they look great.

Thank you very much Mortyb, yes they were both processed in Silver Efex pro 2 for a more gritty look, heavier contrast, darker shadows and some grain

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

Yes, I thought so. And that just tells me what I've realized more and more, that the processing often makes much more of a difference than camera or lens.

Wilbus

Indeed it does. The processing I've done here actually ruins the image as far as quality goes, there is more grain and less sharpness, less dynamic range etc then in the original, yet it is much more satisfying to look at. It's always nice with good sharp lenses though as it is always easier to destroy and image then to improve on softness or other things missing from the beginning.

Toothwalker
Total Posts: 1290

mortyb wrote:
Yes, I thought so. And that just tells me what I've realized more and more, that the processing often makes much more of a difference than camera or lens.

Fortunately, processing cannot replace a photographic eye.

Great images in this thread, by the way.

2       3       4       end