Where can I buy/rent an old-fashioned camera?
/forum/topic/1177294/0

Chziime
Total Posts: 28

For a short film I am shooting in January, one that takes place in an undisclosed-yet-"older" time in Southern Italy (in reality, Princeton, NJ...), I need a camera as a prop. It must be something that looks intricate and would take time to set up. The 1900s cameras obviously would work best, while a 70s film camera would probably look too modern, still. Is there a place I can borrow one of those large, boxed flash cameras (like the ones they used to use to take school photos)? My guesses would be photography studios or antique shops. Also, a very cheap, wooden tripod.

Thanks!!

carstenw
Total Posts: 15951

Sounds you want a large-format camera. I don't know anything about rental places for this sort of thing in the States, but try asking over on largeformatphotography.info/forum.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3543

Go to a local camera shop?

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3291

More like "go to a local antique shop" or "second hand". I dont remember seeing large format camera in camera shop..

At least not here..

ultrapix
Total Posts: 661

If you wish change location, and move here in Italy, I could loan you almost any kind of ancient camera, for free; so, the place would look more realistic

Chziime
Total Posts: 28

Haha, whoa! Thanks. Where in Italy, I'm curious? Too bad I have no budget. It's supposed to take place in Calabria, just because I want kind of a spaghetti western look to it.

LightShow
Total Posts: 5138

Antique shops, ebay, Craigslist, KEH,etc....

ultrapix
Total Posts: 661

Chziime wrote:
Haha, whoa! Thanks. Where in Italy, I'm curious? Too bad I have no budget. It's supposed to take place in Calabria, just because I want kind of a spaghetti western look to it.

I live in Umbria, in the middle; the best place for spaghetti western look is Sardinia, BTW

HansenTsang
Total Posts: 620

Don't forget to check out the members belonging to a local camera/photography club.