Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!
/forum/topic/1177129/0

2       3       4       end

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17662

Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift lens set to be released in March!
The new Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC is set to be released in March 2013 for Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony A mounts.

The optical design comprises sixteen lenses arranged in eleven groups, including two aspherical lenses and two Extra Dispersion (ED) lenses. Each optical component has been covered with multi-layered, anti-reflective UMC coatings, which provide superb light transmission, high contrast and natural colors.

The Tilt-Shift design allows for smooth and fine adjustment of the focal plane by an angle of +/-8.5 and enables parallel shift of the optical axis by +/-12 mm. Both the lens mount and the Tilt-Shift section may be rotated on the optical axis. The Tilt-Shift section may be rotated left by 90 degrees (with 30 degree adjustment), while mount of the lens may be rotated both in left and right direction by 90 degrees (with 30 degree adjustment). Filter size is 82mm.

DownEaster
Total Posts: 78

Any word on expected street price yet?

AvianScott
Total Posts: 152

If the quality to cost is anywhere near the incredible 14mm f/2.8, I'm in.

dswiger
Total Posts: 6245

Does anyone want to buy my Samyang 24mm now
(Don't worry Fred, I have a B&S acct )
I had thought about this when it was "speculated" but didn't take it seriously..
If the optics are as sharp across the frame like my Samyang 24, 35 & 14 are,
I will be waiting for the announcements & reviews.

Dan

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 2940

Really curious about this one..

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3320

But its manual focus!

skibum5
Total Posts: 15917

This sounds really intriguing. $2000+ is always tough for a specialized lens when others do all but the T&S part so well plus so much more and if you also need to do other stuff it was always something expensive PLUS this which = yikes. But at Samyang prices.... and their 14mm is mad sharp.

(only downside is when you go all out for landscapes shots like this you maybe also want every last bit of possible quality and will the colors on this match the canon? if it is to be your THE landscape lens it might be awkward if it did the tricks but otherwise did worse than your other option)

skibum5

RobDickinson wrote:
But its manual focus!

ah damn, i missed that.
oh well

galenapass
Total Posts: 3592

Good, I hope this is more pressure on Canon's prices.

Dudewithoutape
Total Posts: 1068

skibum5 wrote:
RobDickinson wrote:
But its manual focus!

ah damn, i missed that.
oh well

I hope you're being sarcastic. All Samyang lenses are manual focus and, on top of that, Canon's own 24L T/S is manual only.

killersnowman
Total Posts: 2229

AvianScott wrote:

the samyang 14/2.8 is a terrible lens... i returned mine within a day of receiving it. yea its 14mm but at what cost? the distortion is insane (mine was non centered and there was no hope of ever getting a straight line from it), and it was crazy soft....

so lets hope its nothing like the 14/2.8

skibum5

killersnowman wrote:
AvianScott wrote:

the samyang 14/2.8 is a terrible lens... i returned mine within a day of receiving it. yea its 14mm but at what cost? the distortion is insane (mine was non centered and there was no hope of ever getting a straight line from it), and it was crazy soft....

not all are like that (well, for distortion they are, tons of that) but many are sharp, mine (Bower/Samyang/Rokinon 14mm) is MUCH sharper edge to edge than any 24-105L I have ever tried, much sharper than my 24 2.8 had been, etc. It's one of my sharpest lenses I'd say. I have a feeling it has a slightly odd sort of extreme sigma rendering to colors perhaps though.

skibum5

Dudewithoutape wrote:
skibum5 wrote:
RobDickinson wrote:
But its manual focus!

ah damn, i missed that.
oh well

I hope you're being sarcastic. All Samyang lenses are manual focus and, on top of that, Canon's own 24L T/S is manual only.

damn! the canon T&S too?!?
what nonsense from these 'lens' makers!
i can't abide any 'lens' without AF.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3320

Dudewithoutape wrote:
skibum5 wrote:
RobDickinson wrote:
But its manual focus!

ah damn, i missed that.
oh well

It is? Damned that why I've been having so poor luck with it!

CMB Photo
Total Posts: 1176

galenapass wrote:
Good, I hope this is more pressure on Canon's prices.

+1

CMB Photo
Total Posts: 1176

How many planning on using it for weddings only?

saneproduction
Total Posts: 1224

I have to say this is interesting. Don't really need a third... No wait 4th.. 24mm lens, but TS is very nice. Miss my 17 TS-E I sold to fund my 200 1.8

PaulB
Total Posts: 432

ALL, from every manufacturer, T/S lenses are MF..........

Henga
Total Posts: 182

Looking forward to seeing what this lens can do. I'm pretty sure it will be very good optically. Just hope the distortion and the calibration of the lens will be a bit better than their previous lenses.

DownEaster wrote:
Any word on expected street price yet?

http://photorumors.com/2012/12/27/the-price-of-the-samyang-t-s-24mm-f3-5-ed-as-umc-tilt-shift-lens-revealed-in-russia/#more-36756
As said in the comments, you can expect it to be under $1000 in the USA.

killersnowman wrote:
AvianScott wrote:

You just had a bad copy of the lens. Seems like quality control is an issue with this lens (as you can see here). Maybe, you should give it another try.
I don't think the distortion is really a problem since you can correct it very well with PTLens.

Arnaud

tr1957
Total Posts: 144

on automatic apertures still not being added to the Samyang lenses. The manual focus doesn't bother me, but stop down operation is a royal pain!

2       3       4       end