Negative Critique's
/forum/topic/1176003/0

2       end

rbritt1
Total Posts: 16

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE A GOOD CRITIQUE, FOCUS ON SOMETHING YOU LIKE INSTEAD OF SOMETHING YOU KNOW YOU DONíT LIKE AT FIRST.
Negative critique can be helpful, if constructive. If you do not like someoneís photo, suggest how one should improve it. The focus of critiquing should be providing feedback that will help someone to improve. Part of a good eye is in knowing when to break the rules. Not every shot of a tree by the lake needs to conform to the rule of thirds, nor does every bird portrait need to be inclusive of the whole creature, or a head and shoulders looking at the camera.
Giving feedback is very easy but giving good feedback on a subjective matter-such as photography- is extremely difficult. A critique should be a positive and helpful experience for everyone. There is no excuse for bashing someone. Saying only negative things will create unnecessary conflict, and become less about art and more about peopleís individual feelings. .
When posting critiques, explain as best you can what aspects of the image you like and donít like. If you have nothing nice to say about the work, then donít say anything at all

markperez
Total Posts: 1490

maybe concern yourself with stuff you can control instead of trying to be everyone elses mom.

donrisi
Total Posts: 398

rbritt1 wrote:
IF YOU WANT TO GIVE A GOOD CRITIQUE, FOCUS ON SOMETHING YOU LIKE INSTEAD OF SOMETHING YOU KNOW YOU DONíT LIKE AT FIRST.
Negative critique can be helpful, if constructive. If you do not like someoneís photo, suggest how one should improve it. The focus of critiquing should be providing feedback that will help someone to improve. Part of a good eye is in knowing when to break the rules. Not every shot of a tree by the lake needs to conform to the rule of thirds, nor does every bird portrait need to be inclusive of the whole creature, or a head and shoulders looking at the camera.
Giving feedback is very easy but giving good feedback on a subjective matter-such as photography- is extremely difficult. A critique should be a positive and helpful experience for everyone. There is no excuse for bashing someone. Saying only negative things will create unnecessary conflict, and become less about art and more about peopleís individual feelings. .
When posting critiques, explain as best you can what aspects of the image you like and donít like. If you have nothing nice to say about the work, then donít say anything at all

I agree. +1

trenchmonkey
Total Posts: 35126

...and on what planet doth ye reside

normsmith
Total Posts: 3999

I find it interesting that someone with 15 posts on FM is spouting off like this.

Michaelparris
Total Posts: 2276

normsmith wrote:
I find it interesting that someone with 15 posts on FM is spouting off like this.

Why should that matter.....It is a FREE internet forum. Last time I checked it is called FREEDOM of speech. Posts like yours is why things like that need to be said. The problem around here is people think that since they have THOUSANDS of posts that gives them some sort of status into the "FM hierarchy"......As far as what he states, I think it holds a lot of water.

trenchmonkey

normsmith wrote:

looks like SOMEBODY got their feelings hurt here....
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1175852 I had NOTHING nice to say and passed it by. Whew, yay me!

Michaelparris

trenchmonkey wrote:
normsmith wrote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1175852 I had NOTHING nice to say and passed it by. Whew, yay me!

Trench, the guy makes a somewhat valid point in that post. One thing I am not a big fan of is armchair quarterbacks's....God know's there are plenty of those around here.

trenchmonkey

Michael, I guess it was the shouting that turned me off (more than the pics)

Lisa_Holloway
Total Posts: 1931

I've always heard that sandwiching critique between 2 positive points is a good/safe way to go, but I know not everyone has time for that nor is that everyone's posting style. I do try to point out something positive about an image before delivering critique because I know it comes across and is better received that way.

Michaelparris

trenchmonkey wrote:
normsmith wrote:

YOU MEAN ALL CAPS!!! I always forget that means someone is pissed off

jojomon11
Total Posts: 7235

Im ok your ok
Im not ok your ok
Im ok your not ok
Im not ok you not ok

good read

forreal
Total Posts: 51

Michaelparris wrote:
normsmith wrote:

Why should that matter.....It is a FREE internet forum. Last time I checked it is called FREEDOM of speech. Posts like yours is why things like that need to be said. The problem around here is people think that since they have THOUSANDS of posts that gives them some sort of status into the "FM hierarchy"......As far as what he states, I think it holds a lot of water.

+1

ether1
Total Posts: 187

I would say that anyone willing to post thier pictures here must be willing to take some positive AND negative feedback.... sometimes your pictures may just be poor and if asked - you will receive the appropriate comments.

I am not referring to the OP's other post and the quality of the pictures posted but more about the reaction to some negative feedback received.
You can't expect to post pictures on the public forum and not have somebody say something negative.... if you disagree - you can ignore the comments.
If you want more input about why that person didn't like your pictures - ask him/her nicely to collaborate.
If you start your "rebuttal" with all Caps - you won't get any meaningful feedback afterwards for sure.

gregSC
Total Posts: 682

You just have to accept what you get on a community forum...if you do not like what you get just do not post.

normsmith
Total Posts: 3999

Michaelparris wrote:
normsmith wrote:

FREE? To upload you have to pay.

friscoron
Total Posts: 5005

normsmith wrote:
Michaelparris wrote:
normsmith wrote:

You don't have to pay to imbed pics in here.

friscoron
Total Posts: 5005

trenchmonkey wrote:
normsmith wrote:

That's exactly what this is about. I looked at the thread and I think the people in there were definitely trying to be helpful. Personally, I chose not to add my comments to that thread and now I'm glad I didn't.

Michael, some of our best members of this forum rarely post photos, including the first person that this guy stated appreciation for in the original thread. You don't have to post pictures here to be a valuable member of our community. The forum is about having an engaged conversation and discussion about our photos, and most of us like hearing from everyone, regardless of their background. But please, I'll feedback any day of the week from someone 50 years in the biz. Doesn't mean I'm going to like it, doesn't mean I'm going to apply it.

The thing about critiques is that you have understand that if you have your vision, someone else's critique is usually based on their own vision of how pictures should look. If the critique doesn't help you move forward in your own vision, so what. Let it go. The person was likely just trying to be helpful.

If you don't have a vision, then hearing someone else's perspective perhaps can motivate you to try something different, and you keep trying something different until you start honing in on your own vision.

But hey, this guy is a newbie and he really should be getting a feel for how we work before he gets up on the pulpit and preaches to us.

alohadave
Total Posts: 843

normsmith wrote:
Michaelparris wrote:
normsmith wrote:

Who said anything about uploading? Embedded linking works fine.

But that's not his point, as you surely know.

trenchmonkey

^^ Nicely put, Ron. Novel idea here...at least for the next week or so...let's ALL try and get along.
Not everyones studio shots end up on the cover of Vogue

2       end