Surprise Proposals!
/forum/topic/1175839/0

ghdarnell
Total Posts: 793

I think surprise proposals are my favorite thing to photograph. Do you guys have any good ones? Post them!

Here is one from a few weekends ago:

TTLKurtis
Total Posts: 9871

I did one indoors and wasn't thrilled with it. In less than idea light it's really tough since you want to be discreet and not ruin it. Outdoors... That I would like

Prettym1k3
Total Posts: 2008

God Bless it, man. You beat me to it!

And yes, I LOVE shooting these. Just did this one last weekend.

Here's one or two:

amonline
Total Posts: 6853

I don't really want to take this too far OT, and these are great by the way, but what is everyone charging for these?

The reason I ask is because I am basically giving this away at $250 (based on <1hr and online delivery of small images), and guys still don't come through after the quote. This has been the case with 2-3 I was inquired on this year. In the last case, I even broke down and offered the high-res on flash.

Are they just being cheap, or am I missing something?

TTLKurtis
Total Posts: 9871

amonline I think they're just being cheap. The one I did I charged $350 for the session fee and then they ordered a book on top of that for $750. I wish I'd had nice light to work with as seen in the above examples, or that they'd also booked me for the wedding. That's the problem with shooting the proposal is that in this case at least, the fiance already knew who she wanted to hire for the wedding (they'd already started planning the wedding before he proposed, poor guy ). Ah well, it was worth my while for the proposal at least.

Aron Goss
Total Posts: 1425

Well captured Pretty.

StephenAndrew
Total Posts: 45

I did one in Rockefeller Center just a couple weeks ago. It was a mob scene, but fun - I love shooting proposals

head2heel
Total Posts: 339

These are great! Been wanting to one for awhile.

StephenAndrew
Total Posts: 45

Here's another I shot a couple months ago

sherijohnson
Total Posts: 3587

I haven't done any yet, but we were just talking about this earlier today. My hubby is going to attempt to film a few of them on video if we can get some leads

Prettym1k3

Aron Goss wrote:
Well captured Pretty.

Must appreciated it. It was a total blast to see her reaction when she realized he was proposing.

form
Total Posts: 3800

I don't really dare to do these, I had one or perhaps two that I did a while back but they didn't turn out very well. Too many things can go wrong (especially in crowded areas like most of Vegas). People can get in the way, local security can turn away the photographer, etc...

mccallmedia
Total Posts: 382

I had one at the end of a wedding this summer. Luckily the B&G warned me of it ahead of time so I was ready

Prettym1k3

form wrote:
I don't really dare to do these, I had one or perhaps two that I did a while back but they didn't turn out very well. Too many things can go wrong (especially in crowded areas like most of Vegas). People can get in the way, local security can turn away the photographer, etc...

I kept hearing voices at mine. It was in a Christmas tree farm and I thought I was going nuts. But it just ended up being a bunch of random families. I almost had to shoo one family away from the tree that was decorated with "Marry me?". I also couldn't tell if it was the bride and groom's voices I was hearing, or other families' voices.

I'd be afraid to do one in a busy place like Vegas, so I can totally understand. I'd hate for someone to pay me and then turn around and say, "Listen. You picked the spot, not me. And the security guard kicked me out, after 1,000 drunk gamblers walked in front of my camera." Scary, indeed.

ghdarnell
Total Posts: 793

We have two photographers when we do these too, so we can get it from an additional angle, plus in case people walk in front of one of us, etc. Sometimes we even have 3 people if we know it's going to be crowded.