Is there a difference between a 'no name brand' product versus a branded one?
/forum/topic/1173923/0

Cr8tvGrl
Total Posts: 13

Last night I found a guy with a photo studio that sells photography equipment such as twist backdrops, stands, lights, etc. for half the price of what our stores do. I picked up a 6' x 7' screen last night for only $80, versus almost $300. It doesn't have any associated brand. Is that risky? Will the threads suddenly go? I'm trying to figure out how one can be so pricey versus the other if there isn't any difference...

Thanks!

sjms
Total Posts: 18996

there is always that chance you take. materials and construction can vary widely.

Todd Warnke
Total Posts: 3450

Yep, there is a difference. Now, what the difference is, whether it will affect you and whether it matters to you is whole 'nuther matter. In my experience I've come around the viewpoint that I'd rather spend enough to get at least mid-point gear in what ever pursuit I'm after. The cheap stuff is usually cheap for a reason, and by the time you buy two of 'em ('cause the first one broke), you could have bought at least one of mid-point items.

Peace,

Todd

runamuck
Total Posts: 6945

It is probably light duty goods. If you will only use it on rare occasions, go for it. Just be careful not to overload or over tighten anything. If it's something that will see regular use, or loaded with extras, go with the branded stuff.

Cr8tvGrl
Total Posts: 13

Great feedback thanks everyone!