Strap with quick-release?
/forum/topic/1173207/0

2       end

maneatingshark
Total Posts: 189

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a nice shoulder/neck strap to use with my D3 that has quick-release buckles. I was thinking about the Tamrac N45; any suggestions/experience? Op-tech seems to be nice but it looks to be more of a dedicated neck strap, most of the time I use my strap over the shoulder.

I use some pretty heavy glass sometimes so I was a little worried about the buckles coming apart by themselves.

Thanks for any replies beforehand.

rchb
Total Posts: 39

I was noticing you use the 80~200 in your profile. Is that the weight class you are concerned about supporting or the super tele's?

maneatingshark

Yeah, the 80-200 is probably the heaviest glass I'll be using. The main reason I'm looking at quick release buckles is so that I can detach the strap easily for tripod work.

rchb
Total Posts: 39

I use a new system that has a quick release metal snap ring that attaches to a steel plate that can be used independently or fits in between the camera and your tripod plate. The snap ring will also fit into your camera strap loops. I attached a link to the standard unit and an additional link since there are so many options.

http://photipherals.com/listing/pho-reel%e2%84%a2-camera-shoulder-strap-system/

http://photipherals.com/listing/pho-reel-plus-camera-shoulder-strap-system/

Roland W
Total Posts: 1890

I have been very happy with the OpTech series of straps that have quick release buckles near the camera. They are strong and secure, and I have been using them with Canon 1D series bodies and big zooms like the 70-200 f2.8 and 100-400. I also use the same strap system on lens cases and binoculars, and occasionally on the lens lugs on my 300 f2.8 L IS. For the big lens use, I only occasionally need to use a strap on it, but when I do, I trust the OpTech system completely.

RoyC
Total Posts: 263

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/product/SLR-QR-H/SLR-QR-K.html

Give UpStrap a look. I carry a D800 with 300 f2.8 attached a lot. No issues and the quick release parts as they are rated to 300lbs each, if I remember correctly.

Jo Dilbeck
Total Posts: 2381

Another vote for Op-Tech, the quick release mechanisms are very strong and I've never had one disconnect accidentally.

maneatingshark

Thanks all. I will take a look at the Op-tech, does it work well on the shoulder?

Also looking at Tamrac for their compatibility with backpack strap system, we'll see what I get for Christmas haha.

umgrizz
Total Posts: 63

Why not try a Black Rapid R-strap?

I am always afraid a shoulder strap will slide off my shoulder or that the camera will catch on something and be pulled off. I have no such fears with an R-strap -- it is truly hands-free. And wearing it cross-shoulder is more comfortable than on the shoulder.

I have a Canon 1Ds with a Kirk plate which has a mounting hole for the strap connector. To mount the camera on a tripod, I simply unscrew the connector and put the camera on the tripod while the strap remains on my shoulder.

Curt

maneatingshark

I've tried Black Rapid straps before, they weren't really my thing. I prefer having the strap over my shoulder and just removing it when I shoot, so I went back to using my stock strap after a while. Thanks for the suggestion though.

EB-1
Total Posts: 21600

maneatingshark wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been looking for a nice shoulder/neck strap to use with my D3 that has quick-release buckles. I was thinking about the Tamrac N45; any suggestions/experience? Op-tech seems to be nice but it looks to be more of a dedicated neck strap, most of the time I use my strap over the shoulder.

I use some pretty heavy glass sometimes so I was a little worried about the buckles coming apart by themselves.

Thanks for any replies beforehand.

I have a bunch of Tamrac quick-release boomerang straps, and they make lenses up to a 300/2.8 tolerable. The Optech is fine too. I keep a set of the disconnects on only about 7 bodies at one time, and then carry a boomerang strap and a smaller strap for other purposes.

EBH

Nuriko
Total Posts: 9

I just got the FS-PRO camera sling strap with F-1 foldable mounting plate from Carryspeed. Works pretty well and it relieves the strain on your neck compared to most stock straps. It's also 30% off now if you trade in your old strap before end of year. It also comes with the Uni-Strap/Hand Strap. I haven't used the uni-strap/hand strap yet, will test it out this weekend but I bought it mainly for the body strap.

sjms
Total Posts: 18116

since I work around the use of the arca swiss clamping system I have gone through "few" permutations of straps and systems.
at this point I use a combination of 2 separate ideas.
1 the Cinch from Luma Labs
2 the C Loop from Custom SLR.

for me it works pretty darned good. I have all the cinches snugging, loosening and adjusting capability and the mundanely simple and easy attachment system of the C Loop. it swaps easily out from camera to camera to lens in a few moments. it simply works. and I do like simply. the one minor drawback is the C Loop after a short time tends to make a creak sound when it spins. taken care of with a wax based product as a lube. it out of the way when needed an a flash. no real dedicate QR too. the cinch reduces/eliminates the swing factor of the slingers out there. it is very comfortable. it takes just a moment to adjust for clothing too.

JohnJ80
Total Posts: 5647

Here's what I do.

Wapiti strap with quick release hooks and Optech pieces in the camera strap bosses. Works really great and is very low profile compared to other QR straps.

J.

maneatingshark

JohnJ80, that looks like a pretty slick DIY setup. Where'd you get the hooks?

Thanks to all the replies, looks like there are a lot of solutions out there.

JohnJ80

Hardware: http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/index.html

Plastic connections on camera are from Optech.

J.

DanBrown
Total Posts: 3055

Another vote for the Upstrap. With its Kevlar threads running through the strap and the heavy duty connectors, there's probably not a more secure strap made.

godfather
Total Posts: 1969

+1 for the Upstrap

JohnJ80

Upstraps are good and I have a number of them. The only issue is that the QR version leaves huge tails hanging on your camera. Same problem with the Optech straps.

J.

Allynb
Total Posts: 591

+1. OPTECH

2       end