Heavens Opened BW
/forum/topic/1172257/0

roguecoolman
Total Posts: 1928

Hello All,

I worked a recent colored photo to a BW.

#1 with deer

Heavens Opened - BW #1 by Jason Chong's Photography, on Flickr

#2 no deer

Heavens Opened - BW #2 by Jason Chong's Photography, on Flickr

I have 2 crops. Some suggested no deer. What do you guys think? Deer or No deer?

C&C welcome,

Jason

airfrogusmc
Total Posts: 3262

Deer definitely. It gives the image scale. It also reminds me a little of the famous Adams image "Winter Sunrise, Sierra Nevada from Lone Pine California"

douter
Total Posts: 11321

I prefer the version with the deer. The added realestate in the foreground helps build into the mountain for my eye.
Douglas

T-bone1
Total Posts: 8977

Yes, #1 for me as well.
LOVE the sun rays!

Tim

Charlie Shugart
Total Posts: 28515

Jason,
I definitely prefer #1- but not because of the deer. The crop on #2 makes the base too thin imo. A solid chunk of granite like Glacier Point needs something fairly substantial to rest upon .
That said, I think the deer add a good element without presenting any distractions.
Someone on the other forum suggested a bit darker sky- and you obliged here. It looks better this way imo .
Charlie
PS- a marvelous photograph!

Dougo
Total Posts: 5642

Beautiful Jason, definitely the first one.

Cheers Ray

CDaescher
Total Posts: 11148

Jason, I like wildlife and landscapes. So for me definitely #1.
Great shot with very cool sun rays.
Chris

roguecoolman

Thanks for the comments everyone! It's interesting in that most of the folks here on BW like the shots with the deer while the landscape forum folks prefer the one without.

I love the photo ""Winter Sunrise, Sierra Nevada from Lone Pine California"" from Ansel. Have that hanging on my wall, one of my favorites

Jason

George Owens
Total Posts: 157

Beautiful!

Tim ONeill
Total Posts: 16640

I'll go against the grain here Jason. I think the foreground in the first a bit too bright, so less of it in #2 is pleasing me more here. I did like the deer.

Oregon Gal
Total Posts: 2054

Beautiful, the sun rays are amazing. I love them both but #1for me because of the additional foreground. I think reducing the highlights in the foreground might be something to consider.

Mister Bean
Total Posts: 593

I prefer without the deer. I didn't comment before, but when I saw the original composition with the deer I thought it would be better without them. I still think so.

Joe Warren
Total Posts: 156

Another vote for #1 with the deer but to me this one needs to have the snow highlights in the four-ground darkened a bit. The second one addresses this by removing much of this area. Perhaps this might be the reason some prefer #2.

roguecoolman

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll rework some of the foreground snow. I do like the deer

Jason