D800E users, any problems?
/forum/topic/1172062/0

ben egbert
Total Posts: 6066

I am a Canon user contemplating removing the AA filter. I just want to hear if anyone is having issues with the Nikon model?

This would be strictly landscape and starscape use.

GOVA
Total Posts: 1050

FYI, D800E still has AA filter.

Mark_L
Total Posts: 2369

I shoot fashion and have only had two instances of moire so far (one at f/13), I have had more moire from my X100. The 36MP has a lot to do with it I think since it occurred both times in very very fine stitching/weave.

Depending on what is involved, I really wonder if the cost/resale hit is worth the removal of it especially since you are probably not going to be in aperture range where you will see much benefit.

Derek Weston
Total Posts: 918

ben egbert wrote:
I am a Canon user contemplating removing the AA filter. I just want to hear if anyone is having issues with the Nikon model?

This would be strictly landscape and starscape use.

Do it and let me know how it works

I've read up a lot on the d800e and really don't see any complaints. I did see someone theorize that stars would suffer -- and the reason is beyond me, i forget -- but i don't know that there was any proof. In fact...I've seen lots of great star pictures with the d800e.

There was someone that removed AA filter on the canon 5d III and saw huge improvements in video sharpness.

My guess is that it would be fine. If you're really interested in shooting the stars there are some services that will remove the AA, the IR filter, and put on a filter suitable to astronomy. There are also clip on filters (over sensor) that will allow you to shoot in daylight, or IR, or whatever. I've thought of pimping out a used 5D II this way now that they're so cheap.

(but maybe you know all this)

ben egbert

That' the conversion I was thinking of, add a sensor cooling system, remove the AA and align the sensor to mount. I have a local guy who does this and has done work for NASA. Not sure I want to remove the IR, it would mean adding a special filter to all my lenses for daytime shooting and my lenses have really large filter sizes.

This is a 1DS-mk3.

Chaz
Total Posts: 1144

If contemplating removing the AA filter you'll probably be better off with a D800.

The D800E has a sort of "dual" AA filter, the purpose of which is to "cancel out" the effects of the primary AA, so removal may not be a simple process. Not a perfect description, but you get the drift...

ben egbert

If I could switch I would have done so already. I am lens bound.

TEAM KEN
Total Posts: 121

I love mine...worth it for sure...for me at least.
Don;t miss my white lenses at all.
Just sayin'
Ken

ckcarr
Total Posts: 5545

ben egbert wrote:

You don't have to replace everything. Buy one D800e and one lens.

Try it for a while, if you don't like or don't see an appreciable improvement then sell. Probably be less expensive than a conversion when all is said and done.

zesto
Total Posts: 329

Nice shot TEAM KEN.

ben egbert

ckcarr wrote:
ben egbert wrote:

Try it for a while, if you don't like or don't see an appreciable improvement then sell. Probably be less expensive than a conversion when all is said and done.

I would need an adapter for my 17TSE

JimFox
Total Posts: 37285

ben egbert wrote:
ckcarr wrote:
ben egbert wrote:

+1 to Craig's idea...

agentbird
Total Posts: 570

I have the D800E and I've had problems with moire ONCE, and it was when shooting some product shots of technical sports wear. I tried everything in CS5 to get rid of it and nothing worked. I then tried Capture NX, which came free with the camera, it was all gone with a click of a button!

If I was shooting video, I would get the normal D800, just to be on the safe side. Other than that, D800E all the way.

Other than that I've had a couple of problems with my E.
Randomly it takes over 10 seconds to review an image, it just sits there with the green light on.
When shooting with a speedlight on the camera and in poor light, it tends to backfocus like crazy, no problems if I remove the flash. It's most visible on my 24 1.4G and 85 1.4G.

zesto
Total Posts: 329

agentbird wrotether than that I've had a couple of problems with my E.
Randomly it takes over 10 seconds to review an image, it just sits there with the green light on.

Had the same thing happen to my D800E. I took out the SD card and it's never happened since. Strange.

ben egbert

JimFox wrote:
ben egbert wrote:
ckcarr wrote:
ben egbert wrote:

+1 to Craig's idea...

Hey Jim, you don't have an E do you? If not, why not?

My original idea was more than just the AA, I also get most of an Astro conversion at the same time stopping short of the IR so its still a good daytime camera. Makes those long shutter shots better by reducing sensor heat. Any camera benifits from this, he does Nikons too, even did one for Nasa.