Canon EOS 6D Noise and Resolution tests
/forum/topic/1171872/0

2       end

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18136

Canon EOS 6D
Bryan at The-Digital-Picture.com posted resolution and noise tests for the new Canon EOS 6D.

"With these results, many comparisons can be made, but the Canon EOS 6D and 5D Mark II comparison is the one I wanted to see the most. While the 5D II holds a small megapixel advantage, the 6D delivers results that are at least as sharp." - View resolution test

"The results are great, but not surprising to me - I think you will like what you see as the bar continues to be raised on high ISO performance." - View noise test

The Canon EOS 6D is now in stock:

B&H Photo | Amazon.com | Adorama

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3583

I was somewhat confused by the conclusions of the noise tests then figured out I was comparing the 5dmkII to the 60d not the 6d lol.

6d looks a decent upgrade tor star photography.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19928

The 6D in those noise tests is only a little bit better than the 5D III.

RobDickinson

If you normalise to 20mp do you think it would be evens?

5d3 is still pretty good for noise. I'm more interested in banding an DR at base ISO.

sojourn
Total Posts: 25

Very impressive and surprising! The numbers are just as easy to read despite the lower pixel count at ISO 12800 vs 5D3.

Rickuz
Total Posts: 461

RobDickinson wrote:5d3 is still pretty good for noise. I'm more interested in banding an DR at base ISO.
Yup.

Shadow noise at base ISO is pretty much the only improvement I am interested in right now. I'm sure it will come soon, but I'm afraid it will come in a $8000 1D-style body.

Canon's way of "competing" against the D800.

Imagemaster
Total Posts: 35642

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Since the 6D is cheaper, it is a lot better.

py2000
Total Posts: 116

Now I just need its price to drop a bit before I hit the Buy button.

pixelpix
Total Posts: 376

Early days for me (camera less than 24h hours old) but so far I think there is a real improvement in DR, plus I see no signs of banding when the shadows are pushed.

I will try and get some real world samples online as soon as I can get away from this desk for a few hours.

Pixel Perfect

Imagemaster wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:

Not IMO. Spec differences more than make up for slight ISO inferiority. The 6D is clearly a step below the 5D III/7D in build.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12155

pixelpix wrote:
Early days for me (camera less than 24h hours old) but so far I think there is a real improvement in DR, plus I see no signs of banding when the shadows are pushed.

I will try and get some real world samples online as soon as I can get away from this desk for a few hours.

Real world samples ? Most folks here want to see images of the lens cap with the cap left on the lens....

pixelpix

AGeoJO wrote:
pixelpix wrote:

Real world samples ? Most folks here want to see images of the lens cap with the cap left on the lens....

I only have a Diploma in Photography and am not qualified to shoot such shots

RobDickinson

pixelpix wrote:

AGeoJO wrote:

Seeing controlled tests with lens caps on or shots of brick walls tells me exactly what to expect when i go out into the real world and shoot brick walls or lens caps in anger.

thw2
Total Posts: 2931

RobDickinson wrote:
Seeing controlled tests with lens caps on or shots of brick walls tells me exactly what to expect when i go out into the real world and shoot brick walls or lens caps in anger.

True and useful only if one spends more time engaging in real world photography than analyzing lens cap results.

Imagemaster

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Imagemaster wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:

Not IMO. Spec differences more than make up for slight ISO inferiority. The 6D is clearly a step below the 5D III/7D in build.

5D III - $3500 6D - $2100

Pixel Perfect

Imagemaster wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:
Imagemaster wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:

You obviously don't pay attention do you!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1170853

So I'd say you've been banging your head bit too much

Imagemaster

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Imagemaster wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:
Imagemaster wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:

You obviously don't pay attention do you!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1170853

So I'd say you've been banging your head bit too much

Wake up Down Under. Maybe you should click on the B&H link within the link you provided; for today's price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12155

Tony, you need to put that camera in your cart to see the $2,990 price on both B&H and Adorama links. Amazon, on the other hand displays that price right away. That the current situation as of right now and who knows, they may change that again.

David Baldwin
Total Posts: 2848

The sample pictures look very impressive indeed. All that remains is to see what the UK price of this body stabilises at. I am now seriously wondering if I might have a 6D in my future, say in 18 months time when the cost should be lower. I've loved having my 5D2, but seeing Bryan's tests on the 6D makes me seriously consider an upgrade. For me subjectively the high ISO advantage of the 5D3 over the 5D2 wasn't convincing enough for me to part with cash, but the 6D looks very convincing in this respect, taking into account its more sensible price.

pixelpix

A quick look at shadow noise.... (100% crops from an ISO400 image)

Underexposed:
http://www.pixelpix.com.au/downloads/6DShadowTest_UnderEx.jpg

Pulled 3 Stops:
http://www.pixelpix.com.au/downloads/6DShadowTest_Pulled3Stops.jpg

2       end