American Goldfinch in winter colors
/forum/topic/1171660/0

Dean Colprit
Total Posts: 762

Sorry for the feeder shot, but it is the first time I've seen a goldfinch in winter and I just got the feeder up yesterday.

Dean

birdied
Total Posts: 23973

What a beautiful bird ! Nice shot.

Birdie

morris
Total Posts: 37603

Your feeder looks a lot better than mine. Great job on the finch

Morris

Tim Kuhn
Total Posts: 45235

Congrats on the non breeding finch Dean, he looks marvelous. Now get him on a branch

Tim

Bruce n Philly
Total Posts: 164

Good news and good pic! You have Goldfinches and now you have to feed them properly.

To me, it looks like that feeder is loaded with sunflower. Goldfinches really like thistle seed or the more desirable nijer seed. I recommend getting a dedicated nijer feeder and you will attract them like crazy... the first one I had was made of screen similar to your sunflower feeder but it dumps seed all over the place.... a big waste. The one I have now that I really like is just a clear tube with tiny holes and perches.

Really, since you have them in your area, put up a good feeder with the right stuff and you will really enjoy having them around almost all the time.

Here are pics I took of Goldfinches at my feeder.... I put up a branch just behind the feeder and set up my camera to snap them using tethered shooting.

My feeder goldfinch shots and how I did it

Good luck!

Bruce in Philly
www.TravelThroughPictures.com

Oh, one other thing.... the seed available in those big warehouse stores is not good seed. I get mine from an Agway or other specialty store. There really is a difference even with nijer.

Dean Colprit

Thanks Birdie.

birdied wrote:
What a beautiful bird ! Nice shot.

Birdie

Dean Colprit

morris wrote:
Your feeder looks a lot better than mine. Great job on the finch

Morris

It should, it is fresh out of the box.

Dean

Dean Colprit

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Congrats on the non breeding finch Dean, he looks marvelous. Now get him on a branch

Tim

He showed up in the latter part of the day and clung to the feeder like glue. Hopefully I'll get him and his buddies on a branch tomorrow.

Dean

Dean Colprit

Bruce n Philly wrote:
Good news and good pic! You have Goldfinches and now you have to feed them properly.

To me, it looks like that feeder is loaded with sunflower. Goldfinches really like thistle seed or the more desirable nijer seed. I recommend getting a dedicated nijer feeder and you will attract them like crazy... the first one I had was made of screen similar to your sunflower feeder but it dumps seed all over the place.... a big waste. The one I have now that I really like is just a clear tube with tiny holes and perches.

Really, since you have them in your area, put up a good feeder with the right stuff and you will really enjoy having them around almost all the time.

Here are pics I took of Goldfinches at my feeder.... I put up a branch just behind the feeder and set up my camera to snap them using tethered shooting.

My feeder goldfinch shots and how I did it

Good luck!

Bruce in Philly
www.TravelThroughPictures.com

Oh, one other thing.... the seed available in those big warehouse stores is not good seed. I get mine from an Agway or other specialty store. There really is a difference even with nijer.

That is quite a set up you have.

The goldfinch migrate south during the winter in South Dakota. Now that I'm in CO, it appears this is where they winter. I'm seeing lots more species of birds this time of year than I'm used to.... poor me!

Dean

Bruce n Philly
Total Posts: 164

In Philly, we have them year 'round. Enjoy!

Bruce

marklankton
Total Posts: 2492

Nice shot, feeder or no... we all have to eat.
Mark

kmunroe
Total Posts: 29972

your finch looks great Dean

David Leask
Total Posts: 35866

Great stuff Dean, fine shot
David

Conrad Tan
Total Posts: 28400

Nice