More pancakes please!
/forum/topic/1171090/0

godfather
Total Posts: 1980

I'd really like to see canon put out some more pancake lenses. I use my 40 often as a lens and body cap and would like some other choices for FL. Ideally an EF-S 14, EF 20, and ~EF 100. I'm not too concerned with speed although 2.8 would be great. Price is not a major concern if they stay below $400 each...

Anyone else waiting for a few more choices?

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1526

Yes, I would like to see more pancake lenses from Canon. I own both 35L and 50L and, surprisingly, I'm happy with the 40mm.

I don't know if they can do one as wide as 20mm or as long as 100mm. Something in the focal length of 20-24mm would be nice.

jaybird555
Total Posts: 788

You'll have to wait till Canon merges with I-HOP

godfather
Total Posts: 1980

Good point...I guess I'd really like to see a ef-s 14 pancake lens for rebel sized cameras...that and the 40 would make a great crop sensor kit.

mpmendenhall
Total Posts: 2034

An ~20mm pancake prime has been done several times in the past (e.g. Olympus Zuiko 21/3.5 and Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL-II are quite compact), so this is quite possible. A 100mm lens several times shorter than its focal length would be more an (unlikely) unprecedented accomplishment. Olympus made a rather compact 100/2.8, but "rather compact" in this case means almost as small as a typical 50mm lens, not pancake-sized.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3393

An EF 14mm f4 or f5.6 would do me!

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9602

The retrofocus design for wide angle requires a lot more elements in order to get enough distance between the rear element and the CMOS plane. More elements means a longer barrel is needed to house those elements. It would be possible for the EOS-M since there is no mirror box to worry about (hence retrofocus not needed).

p666
Total Posts: 26

28mm pancake would be interesting too, Industar (USSR) has done them in the past.

Wahoowa

mpmendenhall wrote:
An ~20mm pancake prime has been done several times in the past (e.g. Olympus Zuiko 21/3.5 and Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL-II are quite compact), so this is quite possible. A 100mm lens several times shorter than its focal length would be more an (unlikely) unprecedented accomplishment. Olympus made a rather compact 100/2.8, but "rather compact" in this case means almost as small as a typical 50mm lens, not pancake-sized.

I'm thinking of something for a full frame Canon DSLR. So, Gochugogi already has an explanation for it.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22486

Any chance of a 400/2.8 pancake?

EBH

mpmendenhall
Total Posts: 2034

Wahoowa wrote:
mpmendenhall wrote:

I'm thinking of something for a full frame Canon DSLR. So, Gochugogi already has an explanation for it.

The Oly 21/3.5 and CV 20/3.5 SL-II that I referenced are both FF lenses (that can be adapted or are native mount for Canon EF), so pancakes in this range are definitely possible (though pushing up against design limitations for the reasons Gochugogi mentioned). A 14mm lens along these lines might just be possible for EF-s (assuming mirror clearance is scaled proportionally with the 1.6x crop --- what's the actual mirror clearance on EF-s?), though not for FF.

EB-1 wrote:

Only if you're hungry for a giant, all-you-can-eat pancakes stack

darknite
Total Posts: 437

EEww no...... not at the current aperture and price. . There is no reason the current 40 couldn't have been an f/2.0 instead of 2.8

at f/2, I would have purchased one at $249. 2.8 at $200, sorry count me out. The 50 1.8 is by far the better deal.

RE: 400 2.8 pancake, WOW, quantum optics have arrived! WOO HOO! Now if they would hurry and get that Heisenberg viewfinder ready.

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9602

darknite wrote:
EEww no...... not at the current aperture and price. . There is no reason the current 40 couldn't have been an f/2.0 instead of 2.8

at f/2, I would have purchased one at $249. 2.8 at $200, sorry count me out. The 50 1.8 is by far the better deal.

RE: 400 2.8 pancake, WOW, quantum optics have arrived! WOO HOO! Now if they would hurry and get that Heisenberg viewfinder ready.

The EF 40 2.8 has been $149 for a long time now. $199 was the special price for early adopters.

WAYCOOL
Total Posts: 2421

The instant rebate suggests the EF40 2.8 may go up to $199 in January. Guess its time to buy Christmas present for myself.

goosemang
Total Posts: 1572

i'd love to see a 24mm f2.8 pancake

won't happen since they just made this lens with IS, which i don't care about and don't wanna pay for. no biggie though

goosemang
Total Posts: 1572

WAYCOOL wrote:
The instant rebate suggests the EF40 2.8 may go up to $199 in January. Guess its time to buy Christmas present for myself.

IMO this lens is worth every penny at $200, and is an absolute steal at $150. treat yourself

Wahoowa

mpmendenhall wrote:
The Oly 21/3.5 and CV 20/3.5 SL-II that I referenced are both FF lenses (that can be adapted or are native mount for Canon EF), so pancakes in this range are definitely possible (though pushing up against design limitations for the reasons Gochugogi mentioned). A 14mm lens along these lines might just be possible for EF-s (assuming mirror clearance is scaled proportionally with the 1.6x crop --- what's the actual mirror clearance on EF-s?), though not for FF.

I'm not familiar with Olympus system, so I thought it was for a four-third system. Sorry for the mistake. Still, that lens is pretty thick. Now, I wonder how "thin" of a lens to qualify as a pancake lens.

WAYCOOL wrote:

And Canon just might extend it again.

goosemang wrote:
WAYCOOL wrote:

IMO this lens is worth every penny at $200, and is an absolute steal at $150. treat yourself

I agree!

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

The whole Zuiko line is FF compatible (film... ) and very compact. So.....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

jamesf99
Total Posts: 7238

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Rumor has it that the 300/2.8 IS is coming out first.

I'll be trading mine in as soon as it's released.

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4413

I doubt we'll see a sub-20mm pancake, but i would love a small 14-18mm prime for an affordable price. Speed would not be much concern, as long as it is small, AF, and "cheap".