Dancer -- Urban Portrait Series No. 28
/forum/topic/1170571/0

2       end

friscoron
Total Posts: 5415

Hi gang. Managed to squeeze this shoot in about three weeks ago while the weather was still fairly decent here in the Chicago area. Comments welcome.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8237101452_e0b7bec42d_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8203/8236034963_352b913468_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8488/8236034715_7256e3feb2_c.jpg

no_surrender
Total Posts: 1149

Great shots, Ron!

Jonathan Huynh
Total Posts: 9378

Nice !
The background a bit distraction.

friscoron

Thanks, guys!

Jonathan, I can see how the background on 1 and 2 could be a distraction. Thanks for mentioning it.

Jim Rickards
Total Posts: 10406

Looks really good, Ron.

The expressions play a big part in the shots. These gals know when to smile.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

This first, I find the background to be a distraction, because I cannot see where the dancer is coming from.

The second and third I think are fantastic. I like that the ground she jumped from is in the frame.

thorne88
Total Posts: 709

These are great Ron!
2&3 are my favorites.

bbourizk
Total Posts: 2199

Very nice Ron. .. actually I like the background. .. Like the little hint of the setting sun.
Maybe if she had a lighter colored body suit it wouldn't have clashed.

benee
Total Posts: 1808

All are really, really good. I like 3 a lot.

I think 2 could be warmed up a bit, feels a tad cool.

Eyeball
Total Posts: 3848

I like these, Ron. The first time I looked at #3 I thought "Did he do selective white balance or what?" But once I realized what I was seeing, I liked it and thought the "white skin" vs. "tan skin" was pretty cool.

If you wanted to increase the separation on #1 and #2, you could reduce the contrast of the background and warm the subject slightly.

The "doggie style" picnic tables are a little unfortunate but at least they're green and out-of-focus.

ChiShutter
Total Posts: 956

Very nice. 2 is tremendous!

friscoron

@Thanks, Jim! Same girl whole way through! That last picture really makes her look different.

@DTOB, thanks! I go back and forth about my crops with the jumps. I like it the way it is here as for me, it really gives the sensation that she's flying. But like you, I also like to see where she's taken off from.

@thorne99, thanks thorne! Backlighting worked pretty well in 3.

@bbourizk, thanks Bud! I actually had another shot in mind that her black skirt/top would have worked really well on, but that didn't work out. This was our backup location.

@benee, thanks Ben! Yeah, that one probably could be warmed up a little more.

@Eyeball, thanks! Yeah, they need those leotards. The first time I asked a dancer to not to wear the leggings, she mentioned that she felt naked. With the kind of moves they do, that's not a good thing, esp with a 14-year-old girl. I actually did some separation with the background, didn't like it, and left it as you see it here. I'm not sure what was up with those tables. I usually do a pretty good job assessing the background for things like that. Maybe this was really my only choice, due to other elements, not sure.

@ChiSutter, thanks Haseeb! It took some work to get her hair to all go on the opposite side of her head, worked out perfectly!

ChiShutter
Total Posts: 956

Only one of them is obviously lit by strobe -- what about the rest?

Also, I think the backgrounds really help set these shots apart, rather than distract or detract.

Andre Labonte
Total Posts: 13497

The 3rd one really brings out her beauty and energy.

DavidWEGS
Total Posts: 3799

3 works great, but the first two are harder to enjoy with the b/g being a distraction.

BobnJake
Total Posts: 1530

Ron, nice series. I agree on the background issue, BUT I love #2!!!!

Bob

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3338

I wont complicate it. I think its pretty amazing. Like 2 and 3 most. 1 seems bit "color-less" if I take it as series. But as picture itself it would work nicely.

friscoron

ChiShutter wrote:
Only one of them is obviously lit by strobe -- what about the rest?

Also, I think the backgrounds really help set these shots apart, rather than distract or detract.

Haseeb, one of the things I was wanting to do here was utilize my high-speed sync. I shoot with a D4 and was using my SB-910 -- but had my settings wrong, so had to settle for 1/250 shutter speed. So the two jumping shots have the SB-910 adding a little fill, and then I used the SB-910 for back lighting on the other pic.

friscoron

Andre, David, Bob, Mescalamba -- thanks!!

brianclary
Total Posts: 170

I really like these, even with the background...maybe a tad cool in the shadows as you'd expect, but these are still great!

2       end