What would you like to see in a D800 firmware upgrade?
/forum/topic/1170400/0

2       end

RRRoger
Total Posts: 1265

Nikon does monitor these forums.
Perhaps we can hint at what we want here?
1. I would like open source firmware.
2. All buttons programmable with lots of options.
3. Improved AF-F for movies.
4. Improved Low Light/ High ISO focusing and metering.

ckcarr
Total Posts: 5761

In a fantasy world, a fix that makes live view crystal clear. Don't think that's as simple as a firmware fix however.

There's also a little wierdness I've noticed (kind of rare) where the camera seems to get lost saving an image to the cards. The green light comes on and just stays on for far longer than a normal save... Eventually it goes out. Not sure what that's all about.

Lee Saxon
Total Posts: 885

Live view.

Respecting aperture and simulating exposure are both great changes/additions.

Or rather they would be if they were optional. Give studio shooters the ability to switch these features off (separately).

RRRoger

ckcarr wrote:
In a fantasy world, a fix that makes live view crystal clear. Don't think that's as simple as a firmware fix however. quote<<<

I think the problem is they increased the LCD size and not the resolution.
That will require new Hardware not Firmware.

That is why I use an external Camax H056 - 5.6'' (1280*800 Black Matrix Screen) HD LCD Field Monitor with Peaking Focus Assist, HDMI, Analog CVBS Interface for focusing while shooting my "Home Movies".

Kittyk
Total Posts: 4405

AF bracketing

ckcarr
Total Posts: 5761

Maybe I did not explain it well.

I use manual focus lenses a lot for landscapes. All the tilt-shifts. If I were to add another landscape lens it would probably be a Zeiss MF of some focal length. I like zooming in to then achieve critical focus, and also look at foreground versus background with the tilt-shifts. At the present time it is amazingly difficult to do. I can get close, but am never 100% sure. I can use viewfinder for focus with the tilt-shifts, looking for the green dot. But only up to a point when the shift and or tilt is applied. Then it stops working. My understanding was, and it may have been one of your threads RRRoger, is that even when using an external monitor, you still have the same "marching ants" type problem. A larger monitor does not make it better, only bigger?

Of course if I use an AF lens, with contrast detect focus - zoomed in, it works fantastic.

Jan Brittenson
Total Posts: 2206

I'd like a manual exposure mode where I set exposure (EV) with one dial and shift between A/S with the other. In this mode the AEL button can be used to set exposure to the meter reading.

I'd like a DoF mode: let me designate more than one AF point that I want sharp.

Use the accelerometer in the camera to implement a vibration indicator on the top or rear display.

In-camera focus and exposure stacking without storing multiple raws etc like it does now; too frail.

Guari
Total Posts: 1249

Edit: i thought this was a what do we want for nikon thread... Sorry lol

RRRoger

Please include software items that could possibly be included in firmware.

This is not a hardware wish list.

coresare
Total Posts: 486

Changing the focus drive mode switch from AutoFocus - Manual to AF-S - AF-C! I use these two way more than the manual setting.

Alistair1
Total Posts: 373

Sort out LV, including the write times during LV.

Javier Munoz
Total Posts: 536

Kittyk wrote:
AF bracketing

^^ this

trenchmonkey
Total Posts: 35312

Take VR engagement off the freakin' AF-ON button or at least make it a user changeable option.

Kittyk
Total Posts: 4405

Javier Munoz wrote:
Kittyk wrote:
AF bracketing

^^ this

well we got AF micro adjust so we can compensate for poor QC of lenses and cameras, so this is next step, right?

woos
Total Posts: 249

Better live view. And able to tweak the AF/MF switch to change between continuous and single instead.

Javier Munoz
Total Posts: 536

Kittyk wrote:
Javier Munoz wrote:
Kittyk wrote:
AF bracketing

^^ this

well we got AF micro adjust so we can compensate for poor QC of lenses and cameras, so this is next step, right?

Focus stacking in one go....it really is a great idea and it shouldnt be that difficult.

cppguy
Total Posts: 212

Kittyk wrote:
AF bracketing

+1 Excellent idea. Especially if 3 quick shots could be taken with one shutter release.

The most annoying bug is the occasional hourglass, which completely freezes the LCD for 20 seconds. I have fast cards.

Focus peaking would be awesome during LiveView and video. And Nikon, bring back the user-serviceable parts, such as the tripod collar screw, vertical grip connector gasket, anything that you can lose.

vchowdhary
Total Posts: 1201

Fixed live view and possibility of opening up the firmware to allow things like magic lantern

LifeWitness
Total Posts: 74

Better live view and the ability to microadjust focus at both ends of a zoom lens.

Mike

NotoriousPTG
Total Posts: 881

SRAW!!!

2       end