Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?
/forum/topic/1170153/0

jzucker
Total Posts: 2518

I'm currently using the 10x56 fotodiox strip boxes but the grids don't seem to work very well and the AB speedring insert doesn't fit the buff lights very well.

kenyee
Total Posts: 1528

They work well...wish they were longer for full length, but they work fine for 3/4 shots. You'd have to stack two for full length.

Best grids I've seen are the lighttools ones...but they're an Arm&Leg and maybe another Leg

PeterBerressem
Total Posts: 729

kenyee wrote:

...but they're an Arm&Leg and maybe another Leg

What? The third leg too ?

jzucker

kenyee wrote:
They work well...wish they were longer for full length, but they work fine for 3/4 shots. You'd have to stack two for full length.

Best grids I've seen are the lighttools ones...but they're an Arm&Leg and maybe another Leg

so which strip boxes are you using?

I do like the length of the fotodiox ones. Wish the grids worked better but the worst problem is the looseness of the speedrings...

markymarc
Total Posts: 282

I am using the Buff stripboxes and grids. They are adequate for my needs but I am not a pro. From my research, some folks complained that the light is not consistent from top to bottom. Perhaps a stop of loss. Someone on POTL actually rigged a mirror DIY to spread the light more evenly. I also hear that stripboxes in general have a hard time, by design, to keep the light loss at a minimum from top to bottom. They have a good return policy so for the price of a cheap rental, you can test theirs out.

Headshotz
Total Posts: 109

markymarc wrote:
I am using the Buff stripboxes and grids. They are adequate for my needs but I am not a pro. From my research, some folks complained that the light is not consistent from top to bottom. Perhaps a stop of loss. Someone on POTL actually rigged a mirror DIY to spread the light more evenly. I also hear that stripboxes in general have a hard time, by design, to keep the light loss at a minimum from top to bottom. They have a good return policy so for the price of a cheap rental, you can test theirs out.

Yeah none of the all time great photographers who have iconic photographs published, and used whatever stripboxes they had available to make those photos had any idea of the uneven spread problems. They needed members of POTL to educate them.....

More shooting....less measure-bating.

jzucker

Headshotz wrote:
markymarc wrote:

Yeah none of the all time great photographers who have iconic photographs published, and used whatever stripboxes they had available to make those photos had any idea of the uneven spread problems. They needed members of POTL to educate them.....

More shooting....less measure-bating.

so what are you doing on the lighting and technique forum if you don't want to discuss it? Is it ok to discuss the merits of this stuff?

And by the way, my uncle Monte Zucker was an iconic photographer and he absolutely paid attention to the merits of one piece of gear over another.

s14brent
Total Posts: 657

the photoflex ones are awesome, grids are of fantastic quality, and you can get a westcott quick release speed ring for quick setup/breakdown. just a lot pricier than the fotodiox/PCB ones.