Trying to mimic Canon color.
/forum/topic/1169756/0

2       end

okafoja
Total Posts: 1224

Coming from Canon I am so used to Canon skin tone. What do you guys think. I struggle with Nikon files especially D800. D700 is not a problem.

Original Nikon

After mimicking Canon

BenV
Total Posts: 8158

I think your nit picking tbh, I really don't see much (if any) difference

gpchase
Total Posts: 791

Certainly more saturation on the latter...can you do a split screen ?

James R
Total Posts: 5109

IMO the skin tone change impacted the hat. It seems to have lost a little of its vibrancy in the Canon version. I actually like the first picture more, but, I've been shooting Nikon for a long time. Plus going back and forth to view these is difficult. Side-by-side would have worked better, as gpchase stated.

okafoja

I don't know how to do the split screen. I agreed on the head tie. I like Nikon better.

Elan II
Total Posts: 957

You really didn't pick a good shot to experiment with because of the strong color contamination. The right (her right) side of her face and neck have a blue/purple cast reflecting from the headscarf. Her left shoulder has some of this, too. I'm guessing this contamination is reaching further, but it's not clear to the eye without a clean shot to compare it to.

The edited shot is warmer, which masks this a little, but the over-saturation resulted in magenta tones that make her skin look unnatural. You should start with more evenly lit shots before developing a processing regiment for your new Nikon equipment. Btw, I've seen very clean and natural looking skin tones from both Canon and Nikon shooters. I never would have thought that one brand produces different tones from the other. What makes you think this is the case?

snooked123
Total Posts: 824

I like the Nikon better.

okafoja

Elan II wrote:
You really didn't pick a good shot to experiment with because of the strong color contamination. The right (her right) side of her face and neck have a blue/purple cast reflecting from the headscarf. Her left shoulder has some of this, too. I'm guessing this contamination is reaching further, but it's not clear to the eye without a clean shot to compare it to.

The edited shot is warmer, which masks this a little, but the over-saturation resulted in magenta tones that make her skin look unnatural. You should start with more evenly lit shots before developing a processing regiment for your new Nikon equipment. Btw, I've seen very clean and natural looking skin tones from both Canon and Nikon shooters. I never would have thought that one brand produces different tones from the other. What makes you think this is the case?

Actually I don't think one is better. I just struggle with D800 files straight from Camera. AWB is a lot better with Canon.

okafoja

snooked123 wrote:
I like the Nikon better.

Maybe with time I will get use to Nikon.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3239

What way you are using to achieve this? Just curious.

shmn
Total Posts: 349

Are you shooting RAW or JPG? If shooting JPG, which Picture Controls are you using?

okafoja

shmn wrote:
Are you shooting RAW or JPG? If shooting JPG, which Picture Controls are you using?

I shoot RAW only.

okafoja

Mescalamba wrote:
What way you are using to achieve this? Just curious.

All done in LR4. Just playing around different sliders until I get it to look close to my Canon files. I need to develop a real game plan.

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4170

Try these presets for lightroom. They are for Nikon and Canon it may help you get started. I agree with you that the Canon WB is better.

http://lightroomkillertips.com/2012/lightroom-4-camera-calibration-profile-presets/

jrfx
Total Posts: 35

If you shoot RAW and use Lightroom try PSKISS Cross Camera Profiles
http://pskiss.com/shop/cross-camera-color-profiles/

You can also try DxO Optics Pro 8 Elite. However for 800 RAW files DxO 8 demand that you use 4-Core Processors such as Core i7 4-Cores (CMIIW).

Steve Beck
Total Posts: 935

One reason I came to Nikon was the skin tones. I always felt canon was way to saturated and false.

RDParker
Total Posts: 73

Steve Beck wrote:
One reason I came to Nikon was the skin tones. I always felt canon was way to saturated and false.

+1

Avi B
Total Posts: 6932

RDParker wrote:
Steve Beck wrote:

+1

+2

Slabshaft
Total Posts: 294

I do like the right better. It looks richer. The difference is so subtle, I wouldn't have known otherwise. I think the difference may be more pronounced with a caucasian skin tone where the pinks/reds can easily make skin look nasty and incorrect greens make the skin look sickly.

trenchmonkey
Total Posts: 35517

I moved from Canon to get AWAY from their color AND noise. Whatever floats yer boat.

2       end