OMD price drop...when?
/forum/topic/1169602/0

cannpope
Total Posts: 108

Can anyone somewhat predict when an OMD body will see a price drop? First part of next year maybe?

corposant
Total Posts: 2779

The answer is at about 1:09: http://youtu.be/VeZ9HhHU86o

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6395

Right after you buy it.

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4411

Early next year, the OM-D Pro will show up .

cannpope

Have a date?

corposant wrote:
The answer is at about 1:09: http://youtu.be/VeZ9HhHU86o

cannpope

FlyPenFly wrote:
Right after you buy it.

True

cannpope

kewlcanon wrote:

Maybe I should wait

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4411

Don't wait ...you're not going to buy anything if you keep waiting .

cannpope wrote:
kewlcanon wrote:

Maybe I should wait

Jman13
Total Posts: 10453

I would expect an E-M6 sometime next year. The E-M5 might drop $50-100 by then, and will drop a fair bit more after that, but you'll be waiting till that new cam is out for big discounts.

FlyPenFly

So far the OM-D and NEX-7 haven't fallen victim to total price collapse like most mirrorless cameras suffer from. I doubt they will be immune though, it seems like they've kept their price partly due to early shortages.

curious80
Total Posts: 1288

FlyPenFly wrote:
So far the OM-D and NEX-7 haven't fallen victim to total price collapse like most mirrorless cameras suffer from. I doubt they will be immune though, it seems like they've kept their price partly due to early shortages.

Prices have been going down in the used market recently. Both of these now routinely go in the $800-850 range. For the $1200 NEX-7 it is already fairly low. The used value for E-M5 remained in $900+ range for quite a while, but it has also finally started to see the drop.

corndog
Total Posts: 4065

B&H just had a $100 drop on the 12-50 kit, I think it ran from the 22nd/23rd to the 26th. I think the body only had a $50 discount. I'm kinda wishing I would have jumped on it the kit.

pingflood
Total Posts: 1567

Has dropped here in Sweden from 11990 to 9990 for the kit.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5617

curious80 wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:

Prices have been going down in the used market recently. Both of these now routinely go in the $800-850 range. For the $1200 NEX-7 it is already fairly low. The used value for E-M5 remained in $900+ range for quite a while, but it has also finally started to see the drop.

New 7's (body only) were dipping down to $1000-1050 on sale from the big online retailers until recently. And I think the release of the 6 is impacting used 7 sales as well. It would be a tough proposition to get someone to pay more for a used 7 over a new 6 when the the chief advantages are more MP and one more nav dial.

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4414

The OMD is still a very uniqe camera in the M4/3 market, so i really dont think the price will drop much until the next model comes out- which is anybody's guess.

Me personally, I'm getting a little bored with mine (as i do with cameras) so now I'm trying to decide "what next" haha.

Jman13
Total Posts: 10453

GH3?

curious80
Total Posts: 1288

ISO1600 wrote:
The OMD is still a very uniqe camera in the M4/3 market, so i really dont think the price will drop much until the next model comes out- which is anybody's guess.

Me personally, I'm getting a little bored with mine (as i do with cameras) so now I'm trying to decide "what next" haha.

With the E-M5 sensor now featured in E-PL5 and E-PM2 a major selling point of E-M5 is no longer unique to it. Obviously there is still the EVF, superior IBIS, better handling etc. However it is no longer the only option if getting best image quality in m43 is the main goal.

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

FlyPenFly wrote:

I think that's because there hasn't been a direct replacements for both those cameras yet. The price reduction should be somewhat significant when the Nex 7N and OM-D E-M6 comes out. The recent pricing of $499 for the GH-2, $349 for Nikon V1, and $429 Nex 5N kit shows how big those decreases can be when a new generation comes out.

FlyPenFly

What I'm more disappointed about is how long we've had that same damn apsc Sony 16mpx sensor being recycled in so many models without any incremental improvements.