Kashmir- #7 Three people and a store
/forum/topic/1169462/0

Charlie Shugart
Total Posts: 28515

A town along the edge of Dal Lake.

Mirza Ahmad
Total Posts: 1240

I wonder if you were brave enough to try the cuisine as well?
Mirza

Charlie Shugart

Mirza Ahmad wrote:

Mirza

No street food in exotic lands for this traveler.
I DID, however, get dysentery from eating meals at the floating houseboat where I stayed on Dal Lake.
Turns out the toilet emptied directly into the lake at the back of the barge. And the woman of the house drew water from the lake- at the FRONT of the barge.
The only time in a 40-year period of international travel that I got so sick I had to be attended by a doctor.
Man, was I P.O.ed when I realized where her cooking water came from.
Charlie

sozypozy
Total Posts: 600

Nice and simple photography! Sorry to hear that you got sick over there. You should always take packed food with you when you travel

morris
Total Posts: 37001

Hi Charlie,

I like the second. Iím wondering if you tried a photo from the kids head height.

Morris

Charlie Shugart

Thanks Sozy and Morris.
Sozy- My many travels abroad have varied between two to eight months long. My luggage was a backpack. Lugging packed food all the time would have been a heavy burden, a real nuisance, and required that I ate cold food all the time. Nope . In more than 30 months of traveling abroad, I got sick three times from what I ate, and Kashmir was the only time that required seeing a doctor. Pretty good for eating locally all the time. But I WAS careful.
Morris- My right knee hasn't bent properly for many years, so I almost always shoot from a standing position.
Charlie

graham_martin
Total Posts: 1323

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Mirza Ahmad wrote:

Mirza

No street food in exotic lands for this traveler.
I DID, however, get dysentery from eating meals at the floating houseboat where I stayed on Dal Lake.

A couple of months ago my wife and I rode a floating houseboat on Vembanad Lake in Southwest India (Kerala). We saw the lake being used for washing laundry, bathing, washing pots and pans etc. I had my suspicions that it might contain raw sewage, and your comments seem to support that.