New Design - Missing Something - Please C / C
/forum/topic/1168022/0

cmpdesignz2010
Total Posts: 446

Loosely based on the 1984 Topps Baseball card design, I really feel like something is missing. All C/C welcome.

Thanks
CP

Fish On
Total Posts: 1685

Jersey # even though it's obvious in this pic and team name?

cmpdesignz2010

"Oceanside" is the team name. Actually, it's "Sailors". I didn't like how that looked.

Where do you think the number should go?

Version 2.

Frank Lauri
Total Posts: 3888

Chris...I liked the first one on the placement of the name and QB. Although my design talents are limited....I like to go with the thought of keeping things simple and not over saturate with a lot of unnecessary filler....

The font is pretty basic and clean....there isn't a lot other stuff drawing attention away from the player, you put a nice isolated head shot in the corner....again not drawing too much attention away from the main event.

Going with Jerry's suggestion on the number....maybe go with the first version and do something like #4 / QB and keep it all pretty much the same.

So why do you feel something is missing?

rddayton
Total Posts: 1000

Only thing I might add is that it looks a little flat to me. Maybe something as simple as a drop shadow treatment or stroke of the letters. Just my two cents.

cmpdesignz2010

@Frank - I'm trying to keep the look and feel of the 1984 Topps without copying it exactly. See my "revamped" 1982 Topps below.

Just feel like it's missing something.

Tom D
Total Posts: 2298

Chris, I'm kind of with Frank on this- it's looking pretty sweet as is, and has the feel of the original Topps design.
Just to satisfy your tweaking urge, try these out:

- reposition the headshot box down/left, so that its lower left corner aligns with the white stroke of the text borderalready there. The size of the stroke will be different, but no biggie.

- Move the 'QB' over to the right edge of the border, per the original (tho I know you don't want to do a direct copy). Enlarge the player name to more like 2/3 or 3/4 the height of the blue text bg, and maybe spread it out sideways a bit more.

- Enlarge the main image box to eliminate the gray area between it, and the text border. The result is that you will eliminate one stroke at the side and bottom of the image box.

- Go tight on your main image box to fill it with something similar to your David Wright, or maybe a little less (knees to head?).

- It would create a slightly different feel than the original, but in line with what Rick suggested, maybe an inner shadow around one or both image boxes, but subtle.

All of the above might detract from it, though- seriously, it's already looking really nice.

Tom D

Below is what I was describing:

cmpdesignz2010

Very interesting. What happens when you have a longer name though?

Tom D

If it's not too long, squeeze it in and make the position abbreviation smaller, or just go back to two lines as you have in your first version. Moving the smaller image box does create a tiny bit more horizontal room...

ALEX88MAC
Total Posts: 45

definitely add the jersey # in there. maybe put the position at the top right corner with a rounded outline shape and have the jersey # bottom right.