New Gitzo Series 5 Systematic plates
/forum/topic/1167110/0

atodzia
Total Posts: 140

The new series 5 systematic tripods have a Safe Lock plate which has a circular ring cut around the base of the plate in which the new button on the tripod hooks on for additional security of the plate falling off if it becomes loose.

I ordered the replacement plate from Amazon and it does not have the circular ring cut into the plate base so that button will add the additional safety. Is this an older design plate? Has anyone ordered an extra plate with the ring cut into the base. The ring on the base of the plate that came with the tripod I recently bought is painted black.

Andy

KF
Total Posts: 842

This is the one you need.
You got the "old" version.

atodzia
Total Posts: 140

Thanks. Gitzos web site was down this morning and I just found it on on their web site. Returning the one I just got from Amazon and ordering the new one from B&H.

peter_n
Total Posts: 867

Yes things that worked in the old systematics don't necessarily work in the new models. I'm thinking about getting a center column for my 3541LS just in case the new one is different but I can't find compatibility info on the Gitzo web site.

sjms
Total Posts: 19400

lets be a little more precise about it. things that worked on the older systematic do not work on the newer ones. this is because they do not want the likes of RRS to start making interchangeable parts for their stuff. the leveling head for the TVC-33 works on the older systematic won't on the new one. gitzo did this about 8 years ago to manfrotto too. the leveling CP made by manfrotto fit some of the gitzo models. within 1 generation gitzo introduced a non rotating CP on their tripods by putting a pin and groove setup on it making it impossible for any other CP to work with it. then another generation later the came out with the LVL series of tripods which were and still are not the best option out there. but it kept the breed pure.

peter_n

Just in case someone happens on this thread in the future the Gitzo part number for the 3541LS center column is GS3511S and as of this date they are discontinued but still available.

S Dilworth
Total Posts: 484

peter_n wrote:
Just in case someone happens on this thread in the future the Gitzo part number for the 3541LS center column is GS3511S and as of this date they are discontinued but still available.

Having recently researched this, I can offer other options:
GS3510S: seemingly identical specs to the GS3511S, but presumably something changed?
GS3310S: light alloy instead of carbon-fibre; a bit more travel; a lot heavier (0.83 kg versus 0.49 kg)
G1317: alloy, shorter travel (29 cm), still reasonably light (0.68 kg)

Then there are the geared columns (GS3311GS, GS3310GS, G338).

I opted for the G1317 since I found a new old-stock one at a very attractive price. It works perfectly with my GT3531S.

sjms

I love simplicity

peter_n

S Dilworth wrote:
GS3510S: seemingly identical specs to the GS3511S, but presumably something changed?
GS3310S: light alloy instead of carbon-fibre; a bit more travel; a lot heavier (0.83 kg versus 0.49 kg)

I have a GS3511S on the way. It's made of CF and longer than the GS3310S.

peter_n

Apparently no more GS3511S rapid columns, because something called a GS3512S arrived directly from Manfrotto, the US distributor. The GS3512S is 1" longer than the GS3511S so I'm not complaining. It also fits the new Gitzo series 2,3, and 4 systematics.

S Dilworth
Total Posts: 484

So how long is the GS3512S? The specs I have say the GS3510S, GS3511S, and GS3512S are all 40 cm long, and the first two have 31 cm of travel (I dont have the travel spec for the GS3512S).

My alloy G1317 weighs 0.68 kg, is 38 cm long, and has a travel of 29 cm. No security groove, of course (can anyone confirm whether that makes it incompatible with current Systematic tripods? Not that I intend to buy a new one any time soon!).

sjms wrote:
I love simplicity

Yeah, its a nightmare. Gitzo should have all compatibility info on a nice website somewhere. Instead, youre lucky if you can even find a high-res photo of most of these columns.

peter_n

The GS3512S is about 16.75" long and the literature I've read says it's about 1" longer than the preceding GS3511S which in turn was a bit longer than the GS3510S. If by travel spec you mean the bottom of the base to the top of the locking ring that distance is 33.4mm or thereabouts. The center column is the same diameter as the top leg section and is surprisingly solid, maybe because of the length of the locking ring. I don't like center columns and only bought this as a convenience for indoor use, but I'm impressed with the quality of it.

S Dilworth wrote: Yeah, its a nightmare.

It really is a nightmare. Their web site is just terrible from a usability perspective and their naming conventions are just totally byzantine. Maybe it's just a design and engineering company like Arca-Swiss.

Lee Saxon
Total Posts: 999

This thread pretty well encapsulates for me the ridiculous cluster**** of Gitzo. They have at least 10x the number of models they need. Completely absurd.

peter_n

You have to wonder about their Sales & Marketing department if they have one. One example: Gitzo have released two new travel tripods since the 1541T became obsolescent; the 1542T and 1544T. The last digit in their model number system is the version, so where is the 1543T?

It turns out that the GT1543T (to give it its full name) is a tripod in the GK1580TQR4 kit. They use a model number for a set of legs that's part of a kit with a completely different model number. That kit comes with a GH1781TQR ballhead so if you do the simple thing and just add the ballhead name to the tripod name then you could just look at the combined name and figure out what the pieces/parts are: GT1543TGH1781TQR. But then obviously that doesn't work so maybe that's why they came up with some completely random model number for the kit.

But that's not all, Gitzo sells three 1-series traveler kits: GK1580TQR5, GK1580TQR4 (the one with the 1543T tripod), and the GK1581OT which is the 1-series Ocean kit. Also B&H are selling a "Gitzo GT1542T Series 1 Traveler Tripod with ballhead kit" because obviously there isn't enough choice already. And before you ask, that kit comes with a G1177M ballhead...

sjms

still very much to their French origin. we can do with 5 what normally can be done with 3.

BlueHorizon
Total Posts: 2

Just to clarify about the GS3511S and GS3512S in case someone stumbles on this tread in the future - these are absolutely identical in every respect - including length. I have had them side by side and even used a digital micrometer to check them. Also if you pull their part sheets from the Gitzo website you will find that every single part is the same. You can't always rely on the dimensions given on the Gitzo website and their printed catalogues had errors as well.

My theory is that the GS3511S was simply renamed to the GS3512S to have a "2" on the end consistent with the slew of new Systematic models they release around the same time which all ended in "2".

BlueHorizon
Total Posts: 2

Another clarification regarding the GK1580TQR4 - the GT1543T tripod in this bundle differs from the GT1542T which was the current traveller at the time in that it has a modified end on the centre column where the head attaches. This modification accommodates the special traveller bundled head which is the GH1780TQR NOT the GH1781TQR which is the retail version which has a base like a normal head - the GH1780TQR is a special version modified for the bundle which instead of a flat base has a 3/8" MALE thread which screws directly into the top of the centre column - this makes the head pretty useless for any other tripod hence the need for the GH1781TQR.

The GT1542T was discontinued and the GT1544T is the standalone version (of the GT1543T) which comes with a top plate for mounting heads.

peter_n

BlueHorizon wrote: My theory is that the GS3511S was simply renamed to the GS3512S to have a "2" on the end consistent with the slew of new Systematic models they release around the same time which all ended in "2".

Entirely possible. I think I have everything I need for my 3541LS and since it will outlive me I'm not worrying about this stuff any more.