How do I transfer my pics from a memory card reader to EOS utility?
/forum/topic/1166891/0

Rich Swanner
Total Posts: 3151

I have always used the camera to computer to transfer my pics. When I put in the card with the reader it wants to tranfer all the files. I like the utility only transfiring new and the ability of setting up the file to download to. How do I tranfer my pics to the EOS utility using the card reader. It doesn't list the utility in my send to. ......Thanks.....Rich

sritri
Total Posts: 3201

I use Downloader Pro and it is one of the best. There are a few open-source based programs too.

If on Windoze Shift + Right Click a photo on your memory Card reader and then use Open With to choose EOS Utility.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20566

Hi Rich,

I don't use EOS Utility at all when transferring pics to my computer. I put the card in a Lexar USB 3.0 reader, and then use a Windows Explorer window to copy them to a folder on the computer. About the only time I fire up EOS Utility is before a multi-camera shoot to synch their clocks, when I want to do tethered shooting, and when I want to change the user name in a new or old (being sold) camera.

Cheers, Jim

Rich Swanner
Total Posts: 3151

I have my pics by date and that is how the utility puts them in. That is why I like going through it. It drops in only the new, of course I can put in each separate , but that is rather a lengthy task. I use DPP and the file useage is right there for me.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20566

Every time that I download images from a card, I download all of them to a folder with a date-timestamp name. I create the folder, and name it for the date (YYYY-MM-DD) that the images were downloaded to the computer. Then I copy all of them to an external backup disk. Then I format the card. Later, I use Adobe Bridge to weed out the images (deleting none), and then I use Bridge to rename the "good" files with date-timestamp filenames (YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SSab).

Cicopo
Total Posts: 1796

I do it pretty much the same as Jim except for the folder naming.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22491

sritri wrote:
I use Downloader Pro and it is one of the best.

+1. It makes up to 3 copies at once during download, organizes files by any of numerous EXIF fields, and also renames files, etc.

EBH

Mike M. Kraus
Total Posts: 1339

Use the zoombrowser to download then go to dpp

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11979

Obviously, there are a lot of methods . I am using Lightroom to do just that and so far, so good.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19792

sritri wrote:
I use Downloader Pro and it is one of the best. There are a few open-source based programs too.

If on Windoze Shift + Right Click a photo on your memory Card reader and then use Open With to choose EOS Utility.

Downloader Pro is great.

I've set it up to automatically create the folders in the right place on my Photos drive according to year, model, month, day. No stuffing about with copying files over using explorer.

OntheRez
Total Posts: 2827

Just to give a completely different approach, I import (via a Firewire 800 reader) thru Aperture (Mac) using the preview function to select those that are worth a closer look. Many aren't worth importing - depending on situation and activity. I then import and name with a date marker into my own subject based "project" classification. From there I drill down rating and deleting those that don't make the first cut. It is only after I have backed these up to an external vault that I'll return the card to the camera for formatting.

Lots of different ways to do it, but I find making a first selection before importing saves me times. Might be different for others.