WPIAL (HS) Football Playoffs -- Game 1 of 2 Friday night
/forum/topic/1166889/0

rddayton
Total Posts: 1051

Shot two football games Friday night here in the Pittsburgh area. Had been shooting the Nikon D3 all season, but just picked up a D3s earlier in the week and this was the maiden voyage. Tried a ton of different things with the body to see what it could do. You will see the SS, ISO, and Aperture all over the place. As for the D3s, I agree with everything that has been said/written about this body. It is a beast.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the set. D3s paired with 300 (sometimes with 1.4 TC). D300 with 70-200 as second body. The game was a rematch of two teams in teh same conference. Powerhouse North Allegheny (in black) rolled Seneca Valley in week three of the regular season. Friday night was a repeat performance as the Tigers built a 33-3 lead in the second quarter and cruised to a 47-17 win.

rddayton

5-8

rddayton

Last 3

Aqualung
Total Posts: 2115

Welcome to the D3s club Rick, it's worth it

Liking #6, #8, & #9 the best....any more room on the left in #9?

Do you have the Nikon Technical Guide(s)? Nikon has one for the D3 & D3s, very helpful reading...text me if you don't and I'll email them to you.

Chris

rddayton

Aqualung wrote:
Welcome to the D3s club Rick, it's worth it

Liking #6, #8, & #9 the best....any more room on the left in #9?

Chris,

Thanks for the good point about the left side of number 9. I do have more room and here is a recropped version -- much better.

MakoShark
Total Posts: 1200

Looking forward to many more sets with you and your new workhorse!

Good use of the light you had, which like many HS stadiums make life a challenge! even with a D3s its tough! Some of these fields I even wonder how the players can find the ball in the air!

Definitely like the wider crop on #9. Almost wish #1 had a tad more field in it, cool idea. 4. 6. 7. 8. 9. are my picks on this set. #11 is great if you are on the winning team seeing their disappointment expressions! Nice catch.

Have a great week!

Jeff_Stapleton
Total Posts: 1100

Looks like brutal lighting there. I like what you did considering the conditions. These are really good play captures, but they are very dark. Also, at first glance, I thought some of these were soft, but on second glance, did you run pretty high NR on these?

Do you have any other angles of #1. I like the idea and with some PP, I think the image could be stronger, but the band is obviously not in the stands. The caption doesn't make as much sense to a typical viewer when there's a section of empty bleachers in the BG

rddayton

Jeff_Stapleton wrote:
Looks like brutal lighting there. I like what you did considering the conditions. These are really good play captures, but they are very dark. Also, at first glance, I thought some of these were soft, but on second glance, did you run pretty high NR on these?

Do you have any other angles of #1. I like the idea and with some PP, I think the image could be stronger, but the band is obviously not in the stands. The caption doesn't make as much sense to a typical viewer when there's a section of empty bleachers in the BG

Hey Jeff,

Hope you are feeling better after your surgery. Glad to see that you are still shooting and posting. That's a good sign.

Let me start by saying that I probaly shouldn't have posted this set, but I wanted to see what it would look like. They were tough lights for sure, but I really put hand-cuffs on the camera. Shot at ISO 12,300 at f/4 (because I put a 1.4 TC on my 300.) On top of that, the shutter speed on many of them is 1/1000. It is hardly the way I would shoot under normal game-night situations. That's why they are dark.

Back-story on number 1....I was walking to my car to go to a second game right before halftime (score 33-3 at that point) and saw this shot. I literally stopped in the middle of a dark street, put the camera to my eye and fired. With a car coming, I quickly moved out of the street and went on to my car as they then walked the other direction. The moment was gone. Wish I had seen it earlier when I could have set up my gear correctly and framed it better, but it wasn't too be. Guess it is one for the "Close but no cigar" category.