What would you suggest for product pics?
/forum/topic/1166880/0

mclldavidson
Total Posts: 418

I buy and sell a lot of stuff online and it is hard to get pics due to glare or whatever, any suggestions for a free or cheap option? I have seen people taking pics with all white backdrops, I assume it is some kind of box. What are people usually using?

dougfatheruk
Total Posts: 115

Do you have any kit available to you now, speedlites etc?

What kind of stuff are you photographing size wise?

mclldavidson
Total Posts: 418

I have a Speedlites and small stuff like phones, tablets

DanBrown
Total Posts: 3108

There are a huge number of sites offering DIY solutions for folks on a budget. For example, here's the Strobist $10 solution.

Garry Burton
Total Posts: 622

mclldavidson wrote:
I buy and sell a lot of stuff online and it is hard to get pics due to glare or whatever, any suggestions for a free or cheap option? I have seen people taking pics with all white backdrops, I assume it is some kind of box. What are people usually using?

There's is no free solution and your work will look cheap but you can try the sun and reflectors with a sheet for diffusing material BUT!!!

Here's my solution I use for my small product images. I'm using battery packs for the speedlights so that it recycles faster and I can bang away all day (actually these small strobes recycle faster than floor packs etc but of course, nowhere near the power of studio gear).
I'm using PWs, Ebay SBs and stands. You can use cheaper triggers to keep costs down.

Here's the bag in the shot::

The set up above gives me around f9-14 depending on power setting and if you use a stofen on the strobe inside the SBs ( I now simply use the WAD most of the time).

Pros:
Easy to carry.
Fits into small areas.
I don't rely on any AC power (great when visiting clients).
All wireless so no friggin cords to trip over

Cons:
All up more expensive than say an Elinchrome 3 mono light set up when factoring in battery packs and PW per strobe. All up with batteries, my speed light set up cost around $4000 AUD
Power is limited.
No modelling lights. (you do get used to how the light will fall though and shooting tethered helps)
I've burn't out 2 speedlights over 5 years.

My advice, in the long run if you are going to shoot a lot of products, you are better off buying something around a student level 200w Elinchrome 2 light kit. It's about the price of one Speedlight, battery pack, trigger and SB.
More power and with modelling lights but is bulkier to carry. I built my speed light collection over time and I also shoot events and real estate so it gets plenty of use but I'll always use my studio gear for product work given the choice and conditions.

Cheers Gaz

PShizzy
Total Posts: 6164

cheapest solution? read "Light: Science and Magic", learn about how to deal with different materials (such as glass, metal, etc), then use as little money to buy/make the modifiers you need to get your shots done.

I did that with a Rebel on a tabletop tripod, found the cardboard, and lined it (In the final version of the box, the sides are lined white as well) with large white office presentation paper. Lit only by the fluorescent office lights.

Cost of book? 30 bucks. Materials for lightbox: 10 dollars or so, though all of that was the cost of the paper.

Value of book? Priceless

henryp
Total Posts: 1868

In general you want to look for products called light tent or light cube like these but as PShizzy ably demonstrated above you can make your own.His design is simple and easy to use. I made once once with a frame from wire hangers draped with a plain white bedsheet. Depends on the size of the objects you're shooting.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

ether1
Total Posts: 187

cool thread...though I never took any such pics...may come in handy sometime.