Auto Rotate in LR
/forum/topic/1166816/0

Craig Yannuzzi
Total Posts: 1648

I'm sure I have missed something along the way but having moved to LR 4 my portrait orientation shots are not auto rotating upon import.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

Alan321
Total Posts: 9640

Checked your camera setting for auto rotate ?

James_N
Total Posts: 1274

Lightroom reads the Rotation flag written to the EXIF metadata by the camera in order to align your images correctly. If these are photos that were imported into Lightroom without going through any other applications they should line up correctly. The only exception I can think of is if you previously opened ( and rotated) the images in Windows Photo Viewer. Rotating photos in WPV is known to strip the Orientation flag.

hugowolf
Total Posts: 556

James_N wrote:
Lightroom reads the Rotation flag written to the EXIF metadata by the camera in order to align your images correctly. If these are photos that were imported into Lightroom without going through any other applications they should line up correctly. The only exception I can think of is if you previously opened ( and rotated) the images in Windows Photo Viewer. Rotating photos in WPV is known to strip the Orientation flag.

Another exception is when shooting with the camera facing down (or upwards, for that matter).

Brian A