Gitzo GT0541 or Gitzo GT1542T?
/forum/topic/1166559/0

lsquare
Total Posts: 624

I just looked at the Gitzo 0541 and it seems to be a decent alternative to the GT1542T. It's slightly cheaper, but have similar specs. Is there a reason why anyone shouldn't give the 0541 serious consideration?

Does anyone here know whether there is any difference in diameter of the tubing between these two tripods? If so, is it significant?

Right now, I'm exclusively using m4/3 cameras. I don't think the weight load will be an issue with either the 0541 or the GT1542T.

I forgot to mention that I'm 173cm tall and that I do have experience with the GT1541T.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

There is a difference in the leg tube size. If I remember right the difference (diameter) between series 0 and series 1, is 4 or 5 mm. The series 1 will be stronger/more stable as the load capacity also say. Both tripods are very short

EB-1
Total Posts: 22620

http://www.company7.com/library/gitzo/selection.html

EBH

lsquare

Lars Johnsson wrote:
There is a difference in the leg tube size. If I remember right the difference (diameter) between series 0 and series 1, is 4 or 5 mm. The series 1 will be stronger/more stable as the load capacity also say. Both tripods are very short

I know both tripods are very short. I was at B&H in New York earlier this summer, but I forgot to test out the 0541. I use to have the GT1541T and I thought the height was tolerable even though it was a bit on the short side.

I'm aiming to use the tripod primarily for my m4/3 setup. Which one do you think will be more appropriate? I know you're using a GT1541. Would you say that's a better investment?

lsquare

EB-1 wrote:
http://www.company7.com/library/gitzo/selection.html

EBH

Thanks for the link. I just want to make sure I understand this properly, but the diagram to the right shows the approximate size of the tubing for each of the Gitzo series? If so, what's the 00 series? I thought there was only 0, 1, 2, and etc. I've never heard of 00 before.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22620

It's an old article. Presumably there was an 00 aluminum table top tripod at some point.

EBH

lsquare

EB-1 wrote:
It's an old article. Presumably there was an 00 aluminum table top tripod at some point.

EBH

Although the article may be old, how accurate are the measurements of the tubing?

Lars Johnsson

series---leg tube size

00--16mm (5/8)
0---20mm (3/4)
1---24mm (7/8)
2---28mm (1 1/8)
3---32mm (1 1/4)
4---37mm (1 1/2)
5---41mm (1 5/8)

philber
Total Posts: 7475

I chose a Gitzo 0451 over the much more popular 1-series sibling for one reason: size and weight. It is small enough that I can carry it almost anywhere in my Billingham bag rather than carry it as a separate item, as I would the 1542.
But it is also clear to me that the larger tripod is significantly more stable. Whenever I can, I avoid deplying the bottom section, which is really not that stable. Don't even think of getting sharp pictures from 30- second exposures of you tele-mounted DSLR with this tripod in windy weather.
That said, if you prioritize size and weight over stability, as I do for my smaller tripod, the 0451 is highly recommended.

Lars Johnsson

philber wrote:
I chose a Gitzo 0451 over the much more popular 1-series sibling for one reason: size and weight. It is small enough that I can carry it almost anywhere in my Billingham bag rather than carry it as a separate item, as I would the 1542.
But it is also clear to me that the larger tripod is significantly more stable. Whenever I can, I avoid deplying the bottom section, which is really not that stable. Don't even think of getting sharp pictures from 30- second exposures of you tele-mounted DSLR with this tripod in windy weather.
That said, if you prioritize size and weight over stability, as I do for my smaller tripod, the 0451 is highly recommended.

Actually you should choose the 1 series then The 1542T is 5,5 cm shorter when you close them. And a lot more easy to have in your bag

philber
Total Posts: 7475

You are correct, Lars, it is shorter. But, in my case, it is diametre which matters most not length. Due to its stouter legs, the 1542T is thicker, and just enough to make it impossible for me to close my Billingham bag over it, whereas I can just manage it with the thinner 0541. Which is also slightly more than 20% lighter, which is nice on very long trips.
But hey!, who said that there was anything like a universal tripod?

peter_n
Total Posts: 839

Lars Johnsson wrote: ... If I remember right the difference (diameter) between series 0 and series 1, is 4 or 5 mm. The series 1 will be stronger/more stable as the load capacity also say...

And that's what you buy a tripod for right? Stability. A pity you sold the 1541T as by all accounts the specs of the new version aren't as good. I'd still get the 1542T though.

Lars Johnsson

peter_n wrote:
Lars Johnsson wrote: ... If I remember right the difference (diameter) between series 0 and series 1, is 4 or 5 mm. The series 1 will be stronger/more stable as the load capacity also say...

And that's what you buy a tripod for right? Stability. A pity you sold the 1541T as by all accounts the specs of the new version aren't as good. I'd still get the 1542T though.

I have never owned it But I have the 1541 & 1530

dcains
Total Posts: 7393

Instead of looking for the absolute smallest/lightest, look for the largest/sturdiest tripod you can easily fit in your travel kit. The extra stability will make up for the minimal weight difference. When I'm using a travel tripod, I always bring an angle-finder, too, as I prefer using the viewfinder rather than the LCD.