1st Try at Volleyball DIII playoffs
/forum/topic/1166270/0

Rick VB
Total Posts: 245

I had a chance to try my hand at volleyball tonight after work. The DIII women's volleyball playoffs are being played at Hope College in my hometown of Holland, MI. I had about 45 minutes to shoot the match between University of Massachusetts and Christopher Newport University. Found myself struggling to keep up with the action but I did manage to get a few shots I was happy with. Shot at ISO 1600 on the Canon 1D so noise was an issue. Any C&C always appreciated.

Rick

Rick VB

2 more.

Caleb Williams
Total Posts: 2617

If you get any of St. Thomas, I'd love to see it. Nice work on these though.

Rick VB

Caleb, I know I won't be able to get to the games today. There is a chance I could get to the championship on Saturday but I don't know yet. Thanks for feedback.
Rick

Paulthelefty
Total Posts: 614

Good shots! For a different and strong look, get down low. You will lose more shots to players crossing in front of your subject, but the ones you do get will look very powerful. For example, imagine #2 from lower, like on your knees lower. Keep it up!

Paul

Geoffrey Bolte
Total Posts: 1317

Not too bad. WB seems a little off on 1 & 2, but action looks good. I shot the regional up in CT where UMass-Boston won, some images are in my latest post here. UMass looked pretty good, but sounds like Christopher Newport was better!

Rick VB

Thanks Paul & Geoffrey. Paul, next time I shoot I would like to try and get a few low shots of some digs. I didn't have time to try and get everything I had in mind and that is one thing I want to try. Geoffrey, in number 2 I can't decide if the WB is off or not. The white jersey and skin tones look OK to me but there is a big yellow wall behind and maybe that is giving the image a different look from the rest?

Loren E
Total Posts: 586

Nicely done. The noise reduction is just a tad heavy for my taste, but that is my only critique. Cheers -L

Rick VB

Thanks Loren, I did try and go easy on the noise reduction but I really appreciate the feedback.

Frank Lauri
Total Posts: 3937

Rick...Like Geoff said a few there the WB is off. Shots look cleans and sharp and I like #2 and #3. Did you use and NR on these?

Rick VB

Frank, I did do some NR on these using a free software version (can't even recall the name of the software). I tried to do only a little since I am not experienced at using NR software. Hopefully I didn't butcher them completely, although I do still have unedited originals. Thanks for the comments.