Markins L-Bracket LC-530 for 5D Mark 3.
/forum/topic/1166246/0

2       end

Tom K.
Total Posts: 6756

Anyone using the Markins L-Bracket LC-530?
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/LC530.php

It looks great. Just wondering if anyone here has used it and can comment on it. I don't want Kirk or RRS.

Can you use a cable release with the Markins in vertical and horizontal position on a tripod?

Just want to know about the Markins.

Thank you.

Roland W
Total Posts: 1924

No experience with Markins, so I can not directly help with your question. I was wondering if you would tell others why you only want a Markins L bracket, when the ones from Really Right Stuff and Kirk each cost about the same amount as the Markins, and those two companies have lots more experience with making excelent L brackets? If you have a technical or feature reason why you want Markins, then many of us could respond with experiences with other brands in relation to your reason for Markins only.

Tom K.

Roland W wrote:
No experience with Markins, so I can not directly help with your question. I was wondering if you would tell others why you only want a Markins L bracket, when the ones from Really Right Stuff and Kirk each cost about the same amount as the Markins, and those two companies have lots more experience with making excelent L brackets? If you have a technical or feature reason why you want Markins, then many of us could respond with experiences with other brands in relation to your reason for Markins only.

After a lot of research on my part I have come to the conclusion that the Markins would best serve my preferences. The Kirk is a pain because you can't keep a camera strap on the camera itself you have to attach one end to the bracket. That's a deal killer. I don't like the RRS because......well.......I prefer the lower profile of the Markins. The bottom line is I want the Markins. Just looking to see if anyone here owns one and what they think of it in real world use.

peter_n
Total Posts: 836

What brand of clamp would you be using this plate with?

Tom K.

peter_n wrote:
What brand of clamp would you be using this plate with?

acratech

peter_n
Total Posts: 836

OK. The reason I ask is that RRS have stated on their web site that Markins plates don't work too well with some of their clamps. You might just want to check with Acratech to make sure that their clamp can get a secure grasp of a Markins plate.

Tom K.

peter_n wrote:
OK. The reason I ask is that RRS have stated on their web site that Markins plates don't work too well with some of their clamps. You might just want to check with Acratech to make sure that their clamp can get a secure grasp of a Markins plate.

It can.

sdemaio
Total Posts: 484

Hi Tom - I can let you know in 5 business day. I just ordered the Q3 Traveler ballhead and the LC-530 for my brand new Canon 5D Mark III. I started a thread a couple of days ago, asking for advice on the Markins products too. Was hoping to get it before Thanksgiving but its saying that arrival is on the Tuesday after. Will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Tom K.

sdemaio wrote:
Hi Tom - I can let you know in 5 business day. I just ordered the Q3 Traveler ballhead and the LC-530 for my brand new Canon 5D Mark III. I started a thread a couple of days ago, asking for advice on the Markins products too. Was hoping to get it before Thanksgiving but its saying that arrival is on the Tuesday after. Will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Fantastic. Where did you buy the Markins LC-530 may I ask?

sdemaio
Total Posts: 484

Through their website, ships from Canada, right now it has made it's way to Seattle, WA - hey I see you're from CT, so am I.

Tom K.

sdemaio wrote:
Through their website, ships from Canada, right now it has made it's way to Seattle, WA - hey I see you're from CT, so am I.

Yep. Been a CT resident my whole life. Thanks for helping me out with this. I am looking forward to your thoughts on the L plate.

Tom K.

sdemaio wrote:

How do you like the Markins L bracket?

Tom K.

I ordered the Markins bracket tonight. I will let you all know how it works out once I get it and use it.

Tom K.

I got the Markins. It's absolutely gorgeous. Fits to perfection on the 5D mark III. I can keep the strap on the camera unlike the Kirk. Use the remote switch in portrait mode or landscape while on the tripod.

I did a ton of research on this and it paid off. The Markins is astonishing in it's flawless fit, finish and quality.

ccohn
Total Posts: 3

Thanks all of you for posting your comments and experiences with the Markins L-bracket. I've had the Markins ballhead for about a year or so, and have used the regular QR plate for my 40D. No problems, easy to use. Now I want to get an L-bracket for my new 5DIII, and came to check out what people had to say. After reading this, I'm going to go order one.

ETA: Do those of you who use the L-bracket leave it on all the time? I have my basic QR plate on my 40D all the time, but since I do most shooting without a tripod, it's not a problem. I like that the Markins allows the camera strap to remain, which of course makes putting it on/taking off that much easier, and that it's pretty lightweight, but just curious to whether it's unobtrusive enough to 'wear' all the time.

Thanks again!

rsk7
Total Posts: 284

I never take off my RRS L-bracket. Almost never a time when putting it on the tripod is not going to be an possibility. Also adds a little protection to the camera body.

sjms
Total Posts: 18818

once on it only comes off for the occasional cleaning or when its time to sell.

ccohn
Total Posts: 3

Thanks so much for your prompt replies! I appreciate the info.

Tom K.

I leave my Markins L bracket on all the time. It's feather light. I don't even notice it. Also, it offers some protection to the camera body as well.

kalieaire
Total Posts: 786

Tom K. wrote:
Roland W wrote:

After a lot of research on my part I have come to the conclusion that the Markins would best serve my preferences. The Kirk is a pain because you can't keep a camera strap on the camera itself you have to attach one end to the bracket. That's a deal killer. I don't like the RRS because......well.......I prefer the lower profile of the Markins. The bottom line is I want the Markins. Just looking to see if anyone here owns one and what they think of it in real world use.

You know, that's funny because I hate the RRS L Bracket specifically for the reason that it's not attached to the body. The Kirk bracket reinforces the battery grip's mount to the body, that's the reason I go with Kirk.

2       end