Darn Wolf - Would not move back far enough for my new 600 v2 !
/forum/topic/1166060/0

2       3       4       end

Scott Stoness
Total Posts: 9822

Life is tough - I bought a new 600 v2 friday and headed for Jasper National Park (just north of Banff) - but the wolves came in too close to test my new 600. A very lucky day.

The following were my best shots. I was driving down a gravel road looking for some interesting animals for the new lens test and a ranger came around the corner and asked me to be careful not to run over the wolf around the corner. So I drove around the corner and the wolf came out of the bush and then sat down in the snow to look me over as I looked him over. After about 5 minutes he wandered off with his mate.

I drove away hoping they would come back out and turned around in about 10 minutes and drove back up the road, and there was the whole pack walking down the road toward me. So I got out to shot with my 7d/600 until the wolf was too big for the frame, and then go nervous to look up to see if the rest were about to eat me. Whereupon he headed into the bush too.

Here are some of my best shots of a fantastic experience.

Scott

Scott Stoness

5-6 of 6

GCasey
Total Posts: 1251

You certainly took advantage of your opportunities. Superb photos of beautful animals.

sritri
Total Posts: 3229

Superb

Scott Stoness

GCasey: Glad you like them. I started out with 600 w 7d and found this too close, so I switched to 100-400 and then 5diii/600. I am lucky that he was patient. Next time I drive with 5d/100-400 and 7d/600. Its so rare to find them, i need to be ready. So I was lucky here. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

sritriv2: Glad you like them. It was a really lucky morning. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

eyelaser
Total Posts: 19617

Really wonderful Scott. Things get close in a hurry with a 600
Eric

radioman301
Total Posts: 32

Great pictures. I love #1 and the detail is amazing.

blueimage
Total Posts: 829

Just great Scott - the experience, the images, the Wolves, the new lens

Jim

BNJarrett
Total Posts: 636

Nice! #4 for me.

Lance B
Total Posts: 997

Brilliant images, Scott! 1, 2 & 5 are gems, lovely compositions and great detail!

tfoltz
Total Posts: 18834

Awesome

kmunroe
Total Posts: 29475

excellent set Scott .. congrats on the new 600

Scott Stoness

eyelaser: I bought the 600 v2 because its same weight as 500 v1 and 100mm longer and the 5diii is so much better, I might use full frame. Just now have to think of 5diii as go to camera. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

radioman301: The wolf sat right down in front of me for about 5 minutes. It was amazing. Glad you like 1. Thanks fo the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

blueimage: I agree - the experience was fantastic. Wolves don't normally stay out long. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

BNJarrett: Glad you like 4. That particular wolf was a bit skittish so long with lots of cropping. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Lance B: Glad you like them. It was a great morning. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

tfoltz: It was an awesome experience. Aside from yellowstone, I rarely get close to the wolves. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

kmunroe: I am sure you will see lots more with the 600. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

signo
Total Posts: 1545

Nice pet

ggleason
Total Posts: 981

Beautiful, Scott. My son and I were up there in late September, but, alas, we saw no wolves. These are terrific images. Gregg

dhb820
Total Posts: 922

Fantastic photos and an exciting outing!

Robert Snow
Total Posts: 556

All of these images are mind numbing-ly superb!!

Congrats on the wall-hangers...

bob snow

barrye
Total Posts: 151

To say these shots are outstanding is an understatement!! That must have been a once in a lifetime experience.

Barry

birdied
Total Posts: 23249

Stunning shots but the experience must have been almost magical.

Birdie

RikWriter
Total Posts: 2501

Incredible shots!

2       3       4       end