Here's a few of my better Eagles from 11/11/12
/forum/topic/1165773/0

dkapp2536
Total Posts: 1479

Hope these will be better then the last. Please leave me suggestions on how to get better. I really appreciate all your help, thank you all in advance. tried to add 4 photo's @ 1400x900 as suggested it still exceeds 600 kb so it looks like I can only post one at a time. Frustrated again. Dave

dkapp2536

#2 should I add more photo's to my same thread by replying to my own thread to add more photo's. New to posting still not sure how this all works. Added 2nd photo guess what exceeds 600kb again. I give up. Thanks Dave

WesN
Total Posts: 2002

David,

My initial impression on these is that there is just too much contrast. The whites are too white and the blacks too black. This could be due to harsh light, to cut down on the harsh light you can try shooting early and/or late. Sometimes some of this can be fixed in software, you can try to do highlight and shadow recovery, but if you have blown highlights you usually canít recover that and have it still look natural. Eagles are tough, with their white heads and black bodies!!

Nice action in the first shot, too bad the wing is cutting off the head in the eagle on the right.

Wes N.

dkapp2536

Thanks WesN, No post processing, straight from the camera what you see is what I got. Maybe I should adjust in camera settings. I shot from 7am to 4:30pm through fog, blinding sun light. I shoot in jpeg, still need convinced to shoot in RAW and spend the rest of my life processing. I'd like to get it as close to done in camera. I already spend many hours every night, like 9 hours looking through thousands of images. I really don't have the time for much else. Thanks I'll keep working on improving. Dave

dkapp2536

how the whites?

dorian
Total Posts: 3028

any subject with both black and white is tough and the problem only gets worse when the subject is against the bright sky. the light on the left bird in the first image is great, but as has been pointed out, its tough to fight steep light sometime. i think you did a fine job given the circumstances....

dorian

WesN
Total Posts: 2002

David,

I took the liberty of editing your first picture in Lightroom to do some shadow recovery. If there is an issue, respond to this post and/or PM and Iíll remove it. The shadow recovery is less than a 1 minute operation in LR.

One of the biggest benefits in shooting Raw is highlight recovery. And in shots like you have here any benefit in highlight recovery can only help.

Wes N.

KCollett
Total Posts: 24164

A couple of nice action shots David. Keep plugging away and learning.

jodelak
Total Posts: 654

I think they are pretty damn good Dave.

cohenfive
Total Posts: 2943

these are pretty good, and as you are finding out, the guys/gals here are pretty darn helpful. one other very minor thing--it looks like you might have a couple of dust particles on the sensor. depending on the body you are using, you might want to try the internal sensor cleaner, or use a rocket blower/sensor brush to try to get rid of it easily. in post processing you can just use the clone tool to get rid of it. the dust is in the lower right near your sig. keep shooting, i'm really looking forward to getting some good shots of bald eagles this winter.

kmunroe
Total Posts: 30193

nicely done Dave.. adult eagles are tough .. Wes did a lovely job on the first one

surfnron
Total Posts: 32294

Nice action Dave. As far as posting images, there are 2 things to consider: image size and file size. You've got the image size worked out, so you just need to figure out the file size.

When you save the file you should get a pop up window that shows the file size. There should be some way to adjust the quality, and quality controls the file size. In PS5, there is a slider in the pop up and all you have to do is reduce the quality to get the image down to an acceptable file size.

I hope this helps ~ Ron

acjd
Total Posts: 1624

Dave, as others have said, the contrast is to high. Whites look better. However, sooner or later, to improve, you are going to have to do some post processing. The days of getting it right in camera and just sending the film to be developed are over. You are the digital darkroom. Get it right in camera and the post processing goes quicker. It's just part of the hobby. I hate it too.