D4 + 600mm test run (3x)
/forum/topic/1165771/0

2       end

thunderbird
Total Posts: 2752

I took the old 600 and the D4 out for a quick test run today. I didn't last too long because I've yet to get used to handholding the combined weight of roughly 15 lbs while hiking. Before I gave up however, I took a few shots with different settings. Let's go over some of them.

I really wanted to see how fast this handheld combo acquires focus, especially with BIF against very busy background with low contrast between subject/background. For this Snowy Egret flyby, it was a quick lift of the lens, AF point set to off-center, firing away a short burst (6 shots). Wow feel that shutter sound!

About 2 miles later, I found a Red-shouldered Hawk looking for something on the ground. I crawled while holding the heavy combo with one hand - not easy to balance. Again, focus was pretty good in single mode.

Lapping around towards the end of the trail, there were a couple of Caracaras playing in the field. Was windy so holding the lens still was quite a challenge. I got one of them at least.

My overall impression on this combo is that it's very good for what I wanted to do, but given the weight penalty, it won't be my bread 'n butter platform. If I get to sit in the car or use a Gitzo/Wimberley then it's a different story.

kennyb
Total Posts: 245

#2 was nailed perfectly. The other two are still better than anything I've come up with. The 600mm is a handful for anyone. Great job!
Ken

birdied
Total Posts: 23256

Wonderful set ! Like them all. I am in awe of how you guys handhold these lens.

Birdie

Karl Witt
Total Posts: 32768

The Canon 600 is much lighter Andy

That is some fine shooting for that combo! Well earned shots and I think you have the method down to be able to use it well.
I'm betting that hawk grabbed a snake?

Take care
Karl

dorian
Total Posts: 3003

wow! the rs hawk is in such great light. this is a really nice image. good for you lugging that beast of a rig around.....

dorian

KCollett
Total Posts: 23135

Nice set Andy. The hawk is super.

jodelak
Total Posts: 653

Really nice set, love the RTH shot! Very seldom I see them in this foliage

cohenfive
Total Posts: 2855

those are great, but to me the hawk is the best of this really great set...i give you credit for handholding the 600vr, i have a 500vr and that's about the limits for what i want to handhold. just out of curiousity, what focus settings were you using with the d4? it's getting to be raptor shooting season out here and i can't wait to get my d4 out there!

Rob Tillyer
Total Posts: 13970

Very nice set.

Rob

Howard Kearley
Total Posts: 8134

Beautiful shots

Howard

kmunroe
Total Posts: 29476

great shots Andy.. #2 for me

surfnron
Total Posts: 31287

An extra nice set Andy. 2 is my pick for the comp and the sharpness ~ Ron

thunderbird

kennyb wrote:
#2 was nailed perfectly. The other two are still better than anything I've come up with. The 600mm is a handful for anyone. Great job!
Ken

Thanks so much Ken. Was a thrill to see them raptors so close.
Andy

dkapp2536
Total Posts: 1479

Love # 2 for me Outstanding !! work Andy

Lance B
Total Posts: 997

Well, you've gotta be happy with those for a first outing! Fantastic results, Andy!

thunderbird

birdied wrote:
Wonderful set ! Like them all. I am in awe of how you guys handhold these lens.

Birdie

Thank you Birdie. For me it's not an option heh. For the kind of shots I wanna get (mid-flight BIF) the birds are just too fast for any type of support, so handheld is the only way for me. It's a pain, but like they say "no pain no gain".
Andy

Ted ellis
Total Posts: 21593

Sweet three Andy!

thunderbird

Karl Witt wrote:
The Canon 600 is much lighter Andy

That is some fine shooting for that combo! Well earned shots and I think you have the method down to be able to use it well.
I'm betting that hawk grabbed a snake?

Take care
Karl

Hey Karl, sup my man!
The hawk grabbed - get this - a frog! Interesting heh? Then it shared it with its mate. Even more interesting.
Handling this thing makes me feel like being hit by a dumptruck. Just can't wait to put it down. I think I might make a switch to Canon, or I'll just wait for the shipment of the Nikon 800mm

Andy

thunderbird

dorian wrote:
wow! the rs hawk is in such great light. this is a really nice image. good for you lugging that beast of a rig around.....

dorian

Thanks Dorian. I suppose I won't do this again very often. It's so exhausting.
Andy

thunderbird

KCollett wrote:
Nice set Andy. The hawk is super.

Thanks much Ken. Glad you liked it.
Andy

2       end