Ringflash for backcountry portraits?
/forum/topic/1165628/0

dan_holz
Total Posts: 10

Hi. Just wondering if anyone could recommend a lightweight/compact ringflash to use in the backcountry for portraits? I do a fair amount of climbing photography and end up covering a good amount of ground. So, the lighter the better!

I've read up on certain models that just attach to your speedlight, anybody have any experience with these? Honestly, I'm looking to keep the portraits pretty simple. I know the results aren't going to be on par with a ABR800.

Any wisdom you folks could share on the subject would be super-helpful.

Thanks!

Sheldon N
Total Posts: 680

Are you just looking for on-axis fill to complement existing available light, or are you trying to make the ringflash the key light?

Any sort of speedlight solution is going to be quite underpowered for outdoor location shooting, unless it's at dusk or really close to your subject.

mshi
Total Posts: 3500

right here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1162294

BrianO
Total Posts: 8551

Yeah, the Round Flash looks like a good option. In use, it's big enough to give soft fill, but it folds into a small enough package not to be too much of a hassle to pack with you.

dan_holz

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Sheldon - I was hoping to use the ringflash as the key light. Primarily for close-up portraits around base camp. My 580 EXII packs enough of a punch for most of my applications in the field, though I was looking to change things up a bit with the ringflash. Otherwise, I think you're totally right it would be tough to overpower a significant amount of ambient light with most of the units out there.

mshi - The Round Flash looks like a great candidate. Descent price too! But I can see myself loosing those carbon rods in the field pretty easily. I'll have to research that one a bit more.

Thanks everyone!

AlphaValues
Total Posts: 50

I love my Ray-Flash with my 580ex2. Might be a little heavy and bulky for climbing though. OTOH, it's one solid (oddly shaped) piece.

http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Flash-Adapter-Canon-580EX/dp/B0018NEVW6/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

BrianO
Total Posts: 8551

dan_holz wrote: ...The Round Flash looks like a great candidate. Descent price too! But I can see myself loosing those carbon rods in the field pretty easily. I'll have to research that one a bit more.

The newest version doesn't have removable rods; instead, the rods are attached with bungee cord and split in the middle, and have magnetic "clamps" to hold them straight when in use. They're also a bit more robust than the rods on previous versions.

See the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzmuwXH33oY

dan_holz

Perfect. I think that's going to do the trick!!

Thanks again everyone!