Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS problems?
/forum/topic/1165259/0

ange
Total Posts: 143

I recently got my 17-55 back from Canon which had the image stabilizer assembly replaced under warranty (it would make a pop while focusing and the image would shift around intermittently).

Now when I half press the shutter but don't shoot and then lift up off the shutter, at the moment I hear the IS turn off, the image in the viewfinder suddenly shifts slightly to the right.

I really can't remember if it acted this way before. Could someone check theirs and tell me if it does the same thing?

Thanks,
Andy

ange

I guess it's a moot point now. Canon tech support confirmed that it's not supposed to act that way and I have to send it back. The lens also came back with several white dust flakes inside the front element that weren't there before and now when I look through the lens (off the camera) from the rear element, there is a significant, jagged black fleck of something stuck dead center on one of the elements.

I doubt I can get it back in before my warranty expires, but Canon claims there is a 60 day grace period on that warranty. I'm leery. I wish I could find that in writing. They'll fix the IS, but I don't want to get hit with a cleaning charge that they should be responsible for.

I'm fairly disappointed,

Andy

timbop
Total Posts: 6379

which service center? I sent my 70-200 to newport news last monday (they got it tuesday AM) and I haven't gotten any word back from them other than that they got the lens. I'm a CPS gold member, and Jamesburg always had really quick turn around - I guess I was spoiled.

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9724

I had a camera and lens develop problems in the last month of the warranty and repairs were covered 100%. The camera had to go back 3 times, so the problem extended 3 months past the warranty and all was covered. Sometimes you get a less talented tech...

As for IS pop, click 'n drift, that was normal for older IS and cameras (1990s) but Canon somehow tamed these behaviors in later models. However, even the latest and greatest IS will be audible in a quiet room and a twitch or quiver is visible from time to time. I bought my first IS lens in 1995, EF 70-300 IS USM, and that model drifted so much with my EOS 5 I felt seasick! A few years later I bought the 28-135 IS USM and IS was a lot softer and drift nearly gone with newer cameras (EOS 3 at the time). However on my EOS 5 it shifted and drifted like crazy but images were sharp 2 or 3 stops below my normal hand hold speeds.

I have the 17-55 IS and on my 7D I can only hear IS engage in a quiet room. I rarely notice any shift or drift but sometimes a slight twitch during extended use. My 70-200 4L IS is much louder and yields a cute twitch from time to time as well.

ange

Timbop,

Mine went to the Newport News, VA. facility too. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I remember having to send my 70-200 in for calibration a few years ago and it came back quickly and perfect, but I can't remember where that was sent. I guess I was spoiled too. Good luck with your lens. I hope it comes back cleaner than mine did. Check it out carefully.

Andy

ange

Gochugogi,

Wow, 3 times doesn't sound like a good track record.

I know what you mean about the normal IS sounds. I don't have a problem with that trait. My 17-55 is pretty quiet too, but that popping just started suddenly and recently. I know it never did that before.

Interesting regarding the twitching/shifting you've had, because that describes what I'm experiencing. I was prepared for them to say it was normal, but after the first support guy went to check (with a tech I presume), he came back and said there's no way it should be doing that.

Well, I have to send it in for the cleaning anyway at this point, so we'll see what they do.

Andy

ange

Guys,

My replies might have sounded strange (regarding cleaning). I forget to mention that my lens came back with several dust flakes under the front element and a rather large black fleck of something stuck right dead center on one of the elements near the rear. I can see that when I look through the lens from the rear element. The lens was spotless when I sent it in.

Andy

ange

Wow, Canon customer support stinks! When I told the first customer service person that my warranty ends this Sat (17th), he said I have a 60 day grace period on that warranty date.

I didn't really trust this and I wanted to verify it, so I emailed customer support and they said that that was 'not' true. There is 'no' grace period on warranty coverage and if they don't have the lens in their possession within the required time frame, I run the risk of the repair not being covered.

Swell! They failed to repair the lens in the first place, they introduced dust and whatever that black fleck is during the repair process and now I have to scramble to get the lens back in time for them to fix it. I don't even have time to get the paid return label from them. They said to request it 10 days before I ship.

Andy

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9724

Andy, I've only dealt with Canon Service in person so maybe email and phone inquires are not as effective. However the Canon counter girls were always friendly and willing to stretch the warranty after a little small talk. Canon Hawaii calibrated a 70-200 4L lens 4 years out of warranty and, although I was expecting to pay, the girl told me to FAX my invoice and she'd comp me albeit long out of warranty. Also, I had a mode dial repair go south after the repair warranty expired and they fixed it anyway. So smile, maybe flirt a little and they might cut you a break.

As for the slight twitch 'n drift of IS, all 4 of my IS lenses do it although it normally only happens with an extended session (like waiting 90 seconds with finger on shutter to nail a bird on a nest). Otherwise, I wouldn't notice it. No pops on these lenses although my original 1995 75-300 used to grind, pop 'n drift like crazy. Oddly the IS worked for forever but the AF burned out from lots of AI servo (while in warranty).

ange

Sounds like you got lucky with the right people. I've had that happen with companies once in a while. Maybe my luck finally ran out.

They gave me a number to call for unresolved issues. I'll have to call and schmooze them a little and see if I can get any satisfaction. I'm running out of time.

Andy

ange

I can't say my last call to Canon went that well, but it might work out in the end. Of course they said to send my lens back in for the IS, but I couldn't believe what they said about the dust and dirt that they introduced. They said that even though that isn't what I sent it in for the first time, if they get the lens in after, but at least 'close' to the warranty expiration date, they "might cut me some slack".

ROFL! They fail to fix my lens, they introduce dust and dirt in the process and they 'might cut me some slack'? I'm old school. I call that making good on what you messed up, not cutting someone some slack. Oh well, such is the state of customer service these days.

As it turns out, I was able to scramble and get the lens in one day before the warranty expires. I guess they have no choice but to clean it now. Whether or not they fix the IS is anyone's guess.

Andy