Assistance With Shutter Count: 1D Mark III
/forum/topic/1165117/0

John Caldwell
Total Posts: 1881

We want to sell our 1D Mark III, and I'd like to be able to provide a concerned buyer with a shutter count. There are some debates as to whether this is possible from a raw file alone. Here is a raw file shot minutes ago, and I'd be indebted to anyone who could comment on shutter use, if this is possible. I'll be pleased to pay you, via PayPal preferably, for your effort.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2012/Personal/_84P5805.CR2

I understand that only some buyers worry about shutter counts, but I would like to offer some answer if asked.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20568

AFAIK, only the Mother Ship (i.e. Canon) can do this for Mk III and newer 1D-series cameras. IOW, if somebody offers to give you an answer for $, then you should not listen to them, nor should you pay them.

P.S. If somebody asks, tell them ^, and provide your best guesstimate of the shutter count - and tell them it's a guesstimate. Best you can do, on your own.

John Caldwell
Total Posts: 1881

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

John Caldwell

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20568

P.S. Go Pats!

Tom Dix
Total Posts: 1632

I am in the same boat. I have a ball park, but would like to be conservative on my number.
Guess I will give it my best estimate.

Photon
Total Posts: 10006

What Jim said. And by the way, Jim, I knew there was some reason that many FMers try to refer to you as John. Apparently it's possible to confuse Colwell with Caldwell.
Go Pots! (sic)

Psychic1
Total Posts: 4479

Send the body to Canon for a Clean & Check and request the shutter count by noted on the invoice.

A clean camera with a Canon receipt my it easy to sell.