Wedding shooters and Instagram
/forum/topic/1165089/0

Jamesbjenkins
Total Posts: 831

So, I've been in an on and off argument with one of my local photog buddies about pros and semi-pros using Instagram to increase their audience and build their brand.

I'm of the opinion that since according to Instagram's ToS, the moment you upload something to their server, it might as well not be your image any more, it's a huge liability to put any of my professional images on there (below is a direct quote from the ToS):

By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Instagram Services, you hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content not shared publicly ("private") will not be distributed outside the Instagram Services.

That said, I know quite a few wedding shooters who love Instagram, and even go so far as to "cheat" and upload their DSLR-produced images to their feed.

Given the widespread popularity of Instagram, especially among those people who are also very likely in our target market as wedding photogs, what are your thoughts on the pros/cons of wedding shooters, pros, semipros, etc. using Instagram for "other than personal" use?

cordellwillis
Total Posts: 5080

Today's "professional" photographers don't care about their own work. This is why many of them give away copyright. Instagram is pretty much an extension of that.

tbini87
Total Posts: 6

If he doesn't mind giving his work away then I don't see a real problem for him. If he is increasing business through Instagram then I think it is a good thing for him. My wife loves IG and posts on it daily but never for photography. She does follow other photogs and bloggers on it and loves it. I don't see any problem trying to generate business through it.

abadass
Total Posts: 204

tbini87 wrote:
If he doesn't mind giving his work away then I don't see a real problem for him. If he is increasing business through Instagram then I think it is a good thing for him. My wife loves IG and posts on it daily but never for photography. She does follow other photogs and bloggers on it and loves it. I don't see any problem trying to generate business through it.

+1

My friend uses it a lot to increase his audience.

mccallmedia
Total Posts: 382

I hate it when people upload dslr shots onto instagram. Sometimes I take an iphone shot or two during a wedding and post it.

Inku Yo
Total Posts: 4426

Instagramming any images not taken with your phone camera is cheating.

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 5764

Inku Yo wrote:

My phone doesn't take pictures.

Inku Yo
Total Posts: 4426

D. Diggler wrote:
Inku Yo wrote:

My phone doesn't take pictures.

You need to upgrade your phone. Even the flip phone I had in 1999 had a camera.

genoph
Total Posts: 681

This license is actually written really well. Nowhere in this license have you given away your copyright. You've simply licensed instagram to share it for you. There's also no transferability written in, unlike many other services. It specifically mentions it's a non-exclusive, limited license.

Instagram needs the license to legally display the photo online, just as an advertising company does when they display your photo. Technically, yes, your photo could end up on a banner billboard ad for Instagram. Are they going to do that? No, because a) they don't print billboard ads and b) they're not stupid and if Instagram was thought to be abusing reasonable use they'd be strung up in the Court of Public Opinion pretty quick.