--
Herb Turner

Paulthelefty
Total Posts: 572

Looks interesting, I am curious too...

Paul

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11538

Well that looks like everything we've been asking for for ages . But I'm not sure I would be able to justify the $300 price tag for the dongle .

I think I will pass , but for thos iPad owners that do lots of tripod mounted work I can see it being easier to justify .

ccho
Total Posts: 140

Does it even offer anything beyond DSLR Controller (other than iOS vs Android compatibility)? http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11538

ccho wrote:
Does it even offer anything beyond DSLR Controller (other than iOS vs Android compatibility)? http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Well it's not cable connected from your device to the camera which can be an advantage in some cases.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17665

Here is the promo video about it:

firstgear99
Total Posts: 344

firstgear99 wrote:
The Good the bad and the ugly?

I did a search and really didn't find anything......so,

please share......thanks

--
Herb Turner

Ok...I took the plunge and ordered one.....I had asked if they had it connected to 1DsIII and I got a reply they were working on it right now. I have the 7D and 5DII, I will report back what I think.....seems like it generates its own wifi....stay tuned!

firstgear99

ccho wrote:

I believe it generates it own wifi signal, so you don't need Internet access, you can be in the middle of no where and it will communicate between iPad and camera.....I think that is the biggest piece.....all you need is the cam ranger, camera and iPhone/iPod/iPad. If that is true.......oh wow, then you really have a self contained system.....stay tuned....I will be able to report back next weekend....I hope!

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

300 bucks for a WiFi dongle and an app?!? I think I'll wait for a more reasonably priced product, most likely for Android, or until DSLRs come standard with built-in WiFi.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3320

6d will do this out of the box...

firstgear99

I don't have a 6d. I have an iPad with retina display....also have iPhone 4S, 5DII, 7D and 1DsIII (they are working on this interface)......so it seems to me to be a good compromise.....

firstgear99

RobDickinson wrote:

Do you have one?

RobDickinson

Nope but canon have already stated it. 6d has built in wifi and there will be a full control app for osx and android, already demo'd.

Perhaps the app will work with other canons with wifi addons too..?

chez
Total Posts: 7783

RobDickinson wrote:

Thats nice...but many of us have a 5d2 and no plans of getting a 6d. This seems like a great addition, especially with the extra HDR abilities, focus stacking and the Intervalometer. Don't believe the 6d wifi provides enhancements in these abilities.

RobDickinson

So use magic lantern?

chez
Total Posts: 7783

RobDickinson wrote:
So use magic lantern?

Why? I can get all this plus a big LCD for focus and review with this product.

RobDickinson

yes you can, if you buy the $300 dongle. your choice.

Sjjindra
Total Posts: 633

Firstgear99

I'm interested. $300 doesn't seem all that out of line for a specialized product with a relatively small market. I'll be looking for your feedback on it.

I wonder how much would Canon want for such a retrofit wifi adaptor with an IOS app? I'm thinking $600.

Thanks
Steven

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9538

Sjjindra wrote:
Firstgear99

I'm interested. $300 doesn't seem all that out of line for a specialized product with a relatively small market. I'll be looking for your feedback on it.

I wonder how much would Canon want for such a retrofit wifi adaptor with an IOS app? I'm thinking $600.

Thanks
Steven

Canon currently sells six different EOS Wi-Fi transmitter devices. Two are grip style devices while the others seem to mount n the hotshot or on the side. They feature wireless transmission of images, Live View, remote camera control, etc. Of course you need a Mac or Windows computer and not an iPad. They range in price from $600 to $850. So the cam ranger is a bargain although not nearly as cool looking.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17665

Another thread about it here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1156249

There is already some competition with about the same functionality and price.
http://www.shop.tethertools.com/TetherFly-by-CameraMator-Wireless-Tethering-System-TFWD12.htm

2       3       end