Magnifier for M9
/forum/topic/1164985/0

2       end

Edwin Ho
Total Posts: 215

I plan to purchase a 75mm lens for my M9. Which magnifier would you recommend, a 1.25X or 1.4X and why.

Thank you and looking forward to your input.

Bijltje
Total Posts: 800

Well, the 1.25 makes the 0,68 finder of the M9 a 0,85 finder. At the picture below u can see the 75 frame in a 0,85 finder:
Also the leica a la carte configurator shows the 0,85 finder with 75 frame.

The 1,4 makes it a 1 size finder. So the finder shows like a 50mm lens like on the M3. Personally I find 1,25 right with the 75mm, and 1,4 nice with the 90 and 135 lenses.
But its personal, I also have no real problems to use the 75 without a magnifier.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15144

What other lenses do you have?

I think I have my Leica 1.25x magnifier lying around somewhere, left over from my sale of my M8...

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7152

I was considering to get the 1.25x magnifier for the M9 to use with the 50 and 85 ZM but I realized I'm getting a high rate of sharp photos as it is and our fellow member Douglas told me he finds it less comfortable to rest the eyebrow/forehead on the camera with it. So I decided not to get it for now, but I'm sure sometime in the future when I have one of those frequent GAS attacks and look for anything to order, it might end up in my shopping cart.

I agree with Robert that the 1.25x is the one to get.

Edwin Ho

Bijltje wrote:
Well, the 1.25 makes the 0,68 finder of the M9 a 0,85 finder. At the picture below u can see the 75 frame in a 0,85 finder:
Also the leica a la carte configurator shows the 0,85 finder with 75 frame.

The 1,4 makes it a 1 size finder. So the finder shows like a 50mm lens like on the M3. Personally I find 1,25 right with the 75mm, and 1,4 nice with the 90 and 135 lenses.
But its personal, I also have no real problems to use the 75 without a magnifier.

Edwin Ho

Bijltje,

Thank you kindly for a very helpful reply and samples of finder frames. It will definitely help in my decision.

Edwin Ho

carstenw wrote:

I think I have my Leica 1.25x magnifier lying around somewhere, left over from my sale of my M8...

Edwin Ho

I first bought a new 28mm Elmarit ASPH when I purchase the M8.2 and soon after I traded it for an M9. Following that, I bought a new 50mm Summicron (coded version). Two weeks ago I bought a new VC 35mm f2.5 Colour Skopar PCII. I must confess that I under estimated the quality of this lens and for the price that I paid it is very good value. I am now looking at the VC 75mm 1.8 but I thought at 75mm it may be difficult to focus hence the interest in the magnifier.

Edwin Ho

edwardkaraa wrote:
I was considering to get the 1.25x magnifier for the M9 to use with the 50 and 85 ZM but I realized I'm getting a high rate of sharp photos as it is and our fellow member Douglas told me he finds it less comfortable to rest the eyebrow/forehead on the camera with it. So I decided not to get it for now, but I'm sure sometime in the future when I have one of those frequent GAS attacks and look for anything to order, it might end up in my shopping cart.

So this will mean that the 1.25x will also serve the 50mm Summicron that I also own. It looks the 1.25X will suffice for the 75mm and an added bonus for the 50mm .

Thank you edwardkaraa.

Edwin Ho

So it seems the 1.25x is more verstile than the 1.4X. Perhaps this is the reason why Thumbs Up only offer the 1.25X (but then I may be wrong in this assumption).

edwardkaraa

Edwin Ho wrote:
edwardkaraa wrote:

So this will mean that the 1.25x will also serve the 50mm Summicron that I also own. It looks the 1.25X will suffice for the 75mm and an added bonus for the 50mm .

Thank you edwardkaraa.

You're welcome Edwin.

Edwin Ho

Edwin Ho wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Are you considering selling the 1.25X if you still have it lying around? I have not finalised my purchase plan yet for the 75mm though.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15144

Yes, send me a PM if you are interested. I am not sure if it makes sense financially to send to Australia, unless you have huge markups down there?

Edwin Ho

carstenw wrote:
Yes, send me a PM if you are interested. I am not sure if it makes sense financially to send to Australia, unless you have huge markups down there?

It is fine, I shall just leave it for now until I purchase a 75mm lens. Thanks again.

Edwin Ho

I would like to thank all those who answered my query. You have helped me to have a clear understanding on magnification for the M9. When it is time to purchase one, I will go for the 1.25X as it will also enhance focus for the 50mm which I consider an bonus.

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4771

Well, with the 1.4x you can still kind of see the 50mm frame lines. And you'll probably find that the 75 is too close to 50, and will then buy a 90. So the 1.4 will be more useful for that inevitability.

Anyway, I bought the 1.4 to use with 90mm. I hardly use it (the magnifier). It has been discussed in the M8/M9 thread that the proper eyepiece diopter, if you need one, is a more useful purchase than the magnifier. I didn't believe this at first, but now must agree that it also works better for me than the magnifier. I guess it depends on how you shoot with the M9, but if you do fairly frequent lens changes, then going from the 75 to a wider lens will always mean having to unscrew the magnifier, which could cost you time or become tedious (I guess you could use an external viewfinder and keep the magnifier in place for focusing). If you use a diopter, it's necessary to remove it from the eyepiece before attaching the magnifier, then attach it to the magnifier.

edwardkaraa

Agree with Ron. The M are so nice because of their simplicity. No need to clutter them with unneeded accessories.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5925

Yeah, the 1.25x magnifier doesn't make THAT much of a difference. I still haven't warmed to mine.

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4771

Doug - That was also my conclusion when I compared the two.

Edwin Ho

edwardkaraa wrote:
Agree with Ron. The M are so nice because of their simplicity. No need to clutter them with unneeded accessories.

Hi Edward,

As far as simplicity goes, I am on the same page with you, thanks.

2       end