Reception lighting help
/forum/topic/1164771/0

U-taker
Total Posts: 113

Hi all! I'm shooting a wedding this evening and I have a chance to play with lighting during the reception. I have been shooting weddings for the past 2 years and have always only been able to use on camera flash for receptions (this was stipulated by the company I work for). This wedding is for a family member and I'd like to set up my speedlites for the dancing.

Here is my issue/question. I only have 2 canon 430's, one is a 430ex and the other is a 430exII, both with omnibounces. I also have a set of wireless triggers. Now, I know there is no communication between the 430's so having one on camera and one off camera just isn't gonna work so I'll have to set up both off camera. I shoot with a 5Dmkiii so I don't have the pop-up flash. Will setting up two off camera flashes and not having a flash on camera for fill work? If it does work, how should I set up the flashes (180* from each other, 90* from each other, etc...) The reception room does have very high ceilings so will that call for direct flash or will there be enough light spilling forward from the omnibounce to still bounce the flash?

This will be the first time I've attempted this since in the past I haven't had the opportunity to do a set-up like this at a reception. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Ryan

BrianO
Total Posts: 8547

I'd set them up 90 degrees apart, selecting the location after scouting the best shooting direction. The Sto-Fens will eat up some power, but given the high-ISO capabilities of the Mark III the 430s may be able to handle it. Aiming the Speedlites into the shooting area will give a mix of direct light and bounced light. (Usually I put my Speedlites in 90-degree tilt when using the Sto-Fens, but if you keep them in direct orientation you'll have both direct (shoot-through) and bounced light.)

Are your radio triggers ETTL capable, or the flashes at least adjustable from the camera? If not, you'll have to ride the apertures to get proper exposures from varying flash-to-subject distances, or pick a "subject zone" within which you will have exposures within a range that can be easily adjusted during post processing.

Good luck, and have fun.

U-taker
Total Posts: 113

Thanks Brian. I don't believe the triggers are ETTL capable (they were inexpensive) but I can work around that as you suggested.

I just want to try something different for my cousin and his fiancÚ. They are an out of the box couple so I want to put myself out of the box for them.

sic0048
Total Posts: 247

Can you borrow or rent a third flash? Having two flashes off camera is a great setup, but having a third flash on camera to provide some fill light will be very beneficial.