OT: Fuji X-E1. A wedding warrior's new BFF?
/forum/topic/1164741/0

bthatton
Total Posts: 1152

Are any of you intrigued about the Fuji X-E1 which is just starting to trickle into stores?

I am especially interested in hearing about whether any OM-D owners are considering a swap.

I'm having annoying and unending internal conflict because while my OM-D does the job when I am not working... there is just something about the look of the X-E1 that makes me want to forgive any potential quirks. I also want to know that for the size I have one of the best sensors available.

I feel like I have a nerdy connection with my OM-D. It's fast. It's versatile. It has a lot of tricks. Satisfies the geek in me. When I go to Europe in January - I am thinking that I might prefer to have a NSFW connection with my camera.

Just can't decide.

bthatton
Total Posts: 1152

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tdp_photos/8102612179/

RichardLavigne
Total Posts: 5353

keep the OM-D, save the money and buy some new camera bags.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3887

It'll soon have a nice 21/35/85 lens lineup. If I were a traveller, this would probably be my #1 choice. As a wedding photographer, that set would also be nice for me. Two bodies. But I rely too much on the responsiveness of an SLR, so unless it can match it in that department it would only be a hobby camera for me. But I know others can and do make it work, which is great for them.

TRReichman
Total Posts: 3030

Brian clearly needs to go ahead and buy one (since he is a total baller) and then tell me which one I should buy.

- trr

evertdoorn
Total Posts: 852

I'm not into the smaller system camera's yet, but I'm going to rather sooner than quicker (thinking of a nice x-mas present to myself, hehe).

So, I'm eyeballing the Olympus and the EX-1. Saw them both at Photokina this year (oh yeah, the Leica's too, but I'm too young to already sell a kidney :s); I'm leaning towards the EX-1, although I liked the Oly very much too.

xaitian
Total Posts: 2

The link above is mine. Figured I would register and reply.

I have the E-M5 and the X-E1. The X-E1 is a joy to use and takes great photos, albeit sketchy when it comes to auto focus. Looking at it and using it makes you wonder where the film goes. Traditional.

The E-M5 is a fast operating imaging system with weather seals and IBIS and a lot of lens choices. It is a bit small in my hands but you get used to it. You read the manual, twice.

Both are different animals, both have some amazing strengths.

sboerup
Total Posts: 9782

I'm really intrigued by this setup, hope the OLED is a WIN. I wouldn't use it for weddings, more of my personal cam.

mineymole
Total Posts: 3858

I can't wait to hear since I love the Fuji x100....

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 5853

xaitian wrote:
The X-E1 is sketchy when it comes to auto focus.

One of my cams is that way. Quite limiting on the wedding day when you have unrealiable auto-focus.

xaitian
Total Posts: 2

It seems to be more moving targets that are the issue. I took a bunch of shots today in a fairly dark studio and the X-E1 had no problems locking focus. But....I wouldn't want to chase my dogs around the house with my X-E1 w/XF35 in an attempt to get an auto focused shot. Other than that, it does a fine job.