Canon 580EX or 580EXII?
/forum/topic/1164347/0

jefferies1
Total Posts: 2584

I have a 580EX that needs a flash tube at a cost around $195.00. I can get it repaired or buy a 580EXII for around $360.00. Is the newer model worth the extra? $195.00 into an old flash is a lot to spend but little compared to a new one.

I like having at least one Canon flash for dark rooms as my other Yonguno YN560II units don't have the IR focus assist. Does anyone know if the ETTL model of Yonguo has the IR focus assist?
Just can't be without that option when required.

$600.00 for the new Canon model is out of the question because I am in manual 95% of the time even with the 580's. Using with my Canon 5DMKII.
Opinions?

BrianO
Total Posts: 8526

jefferies1 wrote: I have a 580EX that needs a flash tube at a cost around $195.00. I can get it repaired or buy a 580EXII for around $360.00. Is the newer model worth the extra? $195.00 into an old flash is a lot to spend but little compared to a new one.

I'd fix your old one. The EX II adds weather sealing at the flash foot, which is a mixed blessing; sometimes the flash won't seat all the way into the shoe which can cause ETTL failure. (If you're in Manual, the center contact is big enough not to be affected.)

Also, the EX II doesn't have the nice Off/Master/Slave lever for wireless mode selection; you have to go into the menus.

The EX II doesn't whine when recharging, but the EX whine isn't enough to bother me so no big deal there.

The EX II also has a built-in autoflash sensor, like on my Vivitar 285HV, but usually if I'm not using ETTL I'll be using Manual flash, so -- again -- not a real advantage for me.

The only advantage of the EX II over the EX for me is that it can be controlled from the camera menu on newer bodies. (In order that I don't have to mess with the flash's menu, I keep my EX II set for Master mode and only use it when I'm doing multi-Speedlite wireless setups. If I'm only using one flash, I use my older EX (or my 430EX II) instead.)

jefferies1
Total Posts: 2584

Thanks , just what I wanted to know.